News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Switching from a pot call to a mouth call

Started by YoungGobbler, August 04, 2023, 06:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: RustyBarrels on April 02, 2024, 03:16:07 PM
I've been doing the friction to mouth call regimen since I was a teen. If I get a response, it instantly goes back in the pouch and the diaphram comes out. 
Next step is to make sure my gun is ready for duty, I'm in a comfy shooting position,

I actually prefer to set up behind a rock or a fallen tree (as opposed to leaning against a tree)...  Good rest for the gun, with reduced movement...  And...  I always have a friction call beside me, so that I can call to that close bird that is getting nervous...  Hearing a bird he cannot see behind a fallen log seems to make them more curious as opposed to more nervous...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on April 02, 2024, 08:34:00 PM
I actually prefer to set up behind a rock or a fallen tree (as opposed to leaning against a tree)...  Good rest for the gun, with reduced movement...  And...  I always have a friction call beside me, so that I can call to that close bird that is getting nervous...  Hearing a bird he cannot see behind a fallen log seems to make them more curious as opposed to more nervous...

Same here, Marc.  Anymore, I always try to set up behind an object that will allow some movement, if needed.  Like you state, a log, rock, tree or bush of the proper size is ideal.  The perfect set-up for me is having that situation and with a larger tree or solid object to lean up against, as well. If there is a gun support about shoulder high on whatever is in front, all the better.  Granted, sometimes (often) it is hard to find that perfect combination in a hurried set-up, but given the time, I will always look for something that fits those preferences. 

It seems that, over the years (decades), the long-promoted idea of just leaning up against a big tree with nothing in front to break up one's outline does not work as well as it once did...for me anyway.  I think that may be a result of both my increasing age-related need to adjust my achy bones more often while sitting for a spell,...as well as pressured gobblers getting wise to approaching an unknown blob sitting out in the open against a tree.   :D

In addition, in a certain set of circumstances where vision is limited due to ground vegetation or terrain features, I am more and more inclined to choose to stand rather than sit in a set-up.  If I can find a nice pine tree of the right limb density to tuck into and with limbs at "gun-resting height" in that kind of situation, I will take it every time anymore.  That increased vision at standing height as compared to sitting height has come into play on several occasions since I realized that sometimes standing is a better option than sitting.  I can think of at least three gobblers over the last several years that I probably would not have killed if I had been sitting rather than choosing to stand in my set-up.

TrackeySauresRex

Great post Everyone,
   If by myself, if he's interested and a good way out. I'm mixing it up between my pot and mouth call. My mouth calling isn't the best, but it's definitely not the worst and confident in doing softly. Almost everything he heard way out will sound familiar as he closes the gap. I wouldn't hit him with a new call if I know he's on the way. Sometimes... in the heat of the moment, My problem w/soft calling is when I get jacked up excited, heart pounding, hyperventilating, with mouth getting dry. Yes this still happens from time to time w/me and I hope it never goes away. When it does happen, I won't even try to produce a sound with that thing. I'll let it play out. Most times, I run a thin latex combo cut. Or something that doesn't require a lot of air to use to make them soft seductive calls.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."