turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is God a Genie?

Started by misfire, August 01, 2023, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

"You ask and you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures."
James 4:3

So, you're late for a job interview because you can't find parking.

As you circle the block one more time, you cry out, "Please God, I need this job. If you give me a parking spot, I'll be in the front row every Sunday in church." Just then, a space opens up. How do you respond? 

"Oh, never mind, I found a spot."

Sound familiar?

Perhaps this example exemplifies the extent of many of our prayer lives. Some may say, "But, the Lord's Prayer tells us to pray for our daily needs." Yet, we often confuse our needs with our wants. In doing so, we can get so wrapped up in praying for what we THINK we need that we often see God as a genie in the sky, granting our every wish. But that's a terrible misunderstanding of God.

Is God going to give you everything you ask for? Absolutely not. Loving parents don't give their children everything they see in a toy store; likewise, God is not some genie saying, "Your wish is my command."

James 4:3 says, "You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures."

God wants us to seek His will so that we can learn to understand the difference between our needs and our wants.

When we do this, we can knock on the door of heaven and see God pour out the blessings to meet the real needs in our lives.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

eggshell

How about this verse?

Psalm 37:4
New International Version

Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

The question for us is what does "take delight in the Lord" look like for us?

gaswamp

aclawrence

I love James 4. Verses 7-8 are an awesome promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk