OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood density? Black vs Honey Locust

Started by The Cohutta Strutter, July 04, 2011, 02:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

My father in law has a locust tree that we're going to cut down and right now we're not real sure if it's black or honey locust. I've thought about putting some of this wood back to use for strickers,etc... Do you think either variety would work good for strickers or is one variety preferred? I'd guess that black would be preferred but know that honey is also a dense wood as well. Thanks. David.
Anybody seen America lately?

WillowRidgeCalls

From what I've found working with the two, black locus has the better sound quality.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lightsoutcalls

Both will work well for strikers.  When you cut the wood, the grain of honey locust will have a peach or pink tint.  Black locust will have more of a dull yellow/brown tint.  Honey locust makes a great pot call as well.  Black locust... not so much.  I love them both for strikers and agree that black locust makes the better striker, but honey locust is no slouch on slate and glass. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

magnoliagamecalls

I have used both and light both real well as far as strikers and pots. Here is the two give you an idea of what the woods looks like.

Honey Locust

Black Locust

The Cohutta Strutter

Thanks for the info and pics guys, that's a big help. Either way sounds like it would be worthwhile to put some back as it's a fairly large tree. Now to get the sucker ID......

lightsoutcalls

That's a nice piece of honey locust, Gary.  I love the stuff with the peach/pink blush.  Most of what I have on hand is more of the bland neutral color... bor-ing!  It still makes a good striker, just kinda plain to the eye.

West Augusta

Black Locust is my favorite for strikers.

Black Locust is 1700 on the Janka scale
Honey Locust is 1580 on the Janka scale.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TarheelTurk

Thanks for asking this The Cohutta Strutter ! I also have one or the other (wont real sure until now how to tell them apart by sight until you posted this) to cut up on my granddads farm 20"one fell on an old stable and has to be cut down. THANKS AGAIN C Strutter & everyone who answered hm.This has been very informative & helpful.
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

The Cohutta Strutter

Yep Jason, we finally ID the tree as honey locust thanks to the replies that people gave on this thread. There was also a stump nearby the live locust tree we are going to cut down this fall  that my father in law said was the same type tree. We cut into it this morning and right away determined it was honey locust due the attractive peach colored it displayed and it also had a wonderful smell. It looks just like the first pic that Magnolia provided. He said that stump had been there for around 20 yrs, so that stuff is ready to go. The Cohutta Strutter. :icon_thumright:

West Augusta

When you cut Black Locust with a chainsaw the blue sparks will fly. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: West Augusta on July 07, 2011, 03:10:06 PM
When you cut Black Locust with a chainsaw the blue sparks will fly. 
Yikes! West Augusta, you made mention of the Janka scale. I take it the higher the number the denser the wood? Just curious, where could a person view this scale? Thanks.

lightsoutcalls

The Cohutta Strutter

luckydawg

Not trying to hijack thread but which one ,'black or honey has thorns?

lightsoutcalls

Honey locust has some BAD thorns!  I have seen them 6"+ on some trees.  Sometimes they grow in clusters around the "log" portion of the tree.  I was fortunate a few years back to come across a tree that had been dozed down that had a 20" thick log with no thorns for at least 14'.  I am finally using up the last of that tree some 4-5 years later.