OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long beards at 40yds- Browning A5

Started by Fur2fin, June 10, 2023, 03:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fur2fin

Here's a shot from my Browning A5 23" barrel SumToy. 665 choke and 3 1/2" Long beard #4s

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Like to see that with number 6 shot
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sswv

you really need to try #6 like Sir-diealot suggested? 

owlhoot

Fur2fin

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 10, 2023, 03:53:26 PM
We will see, have some #5s on the shelf

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Fur2fin on June 11, 2023, 06:50:26 AM

Hope it is much better pattern than this one, I would never consider hunting this one myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

I agree, i'm not a big fan of the number 4 .... You could buy a box of Apex TSS in 2 3/4 and get a better pattern... IMO

Fur2fin

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 11, 2023, 09:32:17 AM

Hope it is much better pattern than this one, I would never consider hunting this one myself.
So the whole pattern inside an 18" square doesn't work for you. Hmmm

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Fur2fin on June 11, 2023, 10:49:57 AM

Well first off let me say your picture made things very hard to see, so I downloaded it and cropped it so it could be seen better. That said though yes it is better than I had initially thought I still would not hunt that pattern, just not enough in the kill area for me, more like and injury load than a kill load in my mind. Could it kill? Absolutely but there are not enough in the kill area for me to ever consider using myself. 5's or 6's would put much more in there and will kill fine out to 40 yards which is the furthest I am willing to shoot. I think they would put more out at the 50 you mentioned as well.

John Koenig:

owlhoot

Although not disagreeing with the guys on going to 5's. At 40 yards , 100-130 in the 10 inch circle of a number 4 shot load sure killed a ton of turkeys beyond that a bit for myself and many others I know.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: owlhoot on June 11, 2023, 12:33:24 PM

Although not disagreeing with the guys on going to 5's. At 40 yards , 100-130 in the 10 inch circle of a number 4 shot load sure killed a ton of turkeys beyond that a bit for myself and many others I know.
I don't advocate over 40 yards regardless of ammo used. Just how I feel about it. Of course I don't have to pattern my camera.

John Koenig:

crow

There are about 22 #4 lead pellets in the (imo) actual brain/neck vertebrae for what would be a true killing pellet for any one of them.

If this is a consistent type pattern in my gun I would shoot turkeys at 40yds no problem. I think Henry Davis would of been happy with it.

There are some weak spots in the upper left and lower right quadrants, I would maybe try a .670 and a .675 choke just to see. I'd also be interested in seeing how the win. XX lower velocity/higher payload shell does out of your setup.

Looking forward to a #5 pattern out of the .665 at 40 yards

knightrider

Try the lbr 3 in #5 and i bet youd be better satisfied

GobbleNut

Kind of an old thread,...but this is a fine example of the "old mind-set" in turkey hunting guns, patterns, and loads as compared to the "newer mind-set" more prevalent today.  In today's tendency for a lot of turkey hunters to "pellet count", that pattern would likely not be acceptable to a lot of folks.  That particular shot would have killed a gobbler, for sure, but there are some questionable holes in the pattern that would personally worry me a bit.  With any individual, single shot, the randomness of shot distribution might result in a wounded gobbler on rare occasions.  I agree with others in that I would look for something that would be better...and I am certain there are a number of options out there to accomplish that. 

Having said that, the overall pattern you have with that combination at ranges from "close in" to out to that maximum forty-yard range is much more forgiving for those of us that might not get our bead centered right where it needs to be every time we pull the trigger.  Personally, I prefer that sort of "forgiving" pattern over the one where a guy is basically shooting a rifle at anything inside of twenty yards.  Give me an 18" pattern at 40 yards (with a bit more density) over a tighter pattern all day long.   :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: crow on June 11, 2023, 01:04:57 PM
There are about 22 #4 lead pellets in the (imo) actual brain/neck vertebrae for what would be a true killing pellet for any one of them.

#4's will definitely drop the anvil on em Hard.
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 02, 2024, 05:57:26 PM
Kind of an old thread,...but this is a fine example of the "old mind-set" in turkey hunting guns, patterns, and loads as compared to the "newer mind-set" more prevalent today.  In today's tendency for a lot of turkey hunters to "pellet count", that pattern would likely not be acceptable to a lot of folks.  That particular shot would have killed a gobbler, for sure, but there are some questionable holes in the pattern that would personally worry me a bit.  With any individual, single shot, the randomness of shot distribution might result in a wounded gobbler on rare occasions.  I agree with others in that I would look for something that would be better...and I am certain there are a number of options out there to accomplish that. 

Having said that, the overall pattern you have with that combination at ranges from "close in" to out to that maximum forty-yard range is much more forgiving for those of us that might not get our bead centered right where it needs to be every time we pull the trigger.  Personally, I prefer that sort of "forgiving" pattern over the one where a guy is basically shooting a rifle at anything inside of twenty yards.  Give me an 18" pattern at 40 yards (with a bit more density) over a tighter pattern all day long.   :icon_thumright:

I wish I had some of my old #4 patterns. They weren't to shabby.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."