OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning gold 3” 12 gauge  (Read 495 times)

Offline slave601

Browning gold 3” 12 gauge
« on: May 25, 2023, 10:33:57 PM »
Just traded an older rifle for a browning gold 12 gauge 3” with a 24” barrel. What’s the best 3” tss load on the market. I’ve always ran 3.5”. Looking at nitros t321 8x9 load
"thinnin the flock"

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Browning gold 3” 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 11:44:50 PM »
If you want a sure enough load and you want to shoot 3 inch, get some Apex, 2 3/4  9s 2 ounces or 3 inch 9s 2 1/4 ounces. They're all you would ever need.  You can also try Foxtrot ammo similar loads. Both are good!!!
Choke would be along the lines of 670-680.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 08:28:13 AM »
If you want a sure enough load and you want to shoot 3 inch, get some Apex, 2 3/4  9s 2 ounces or 3 inch 9s 2 1/4 ounces. They're all you would ever need.  You can also try Foxtrot ammo similar loads. Both are good!!!
Choke would be along the lines of 670-680.

I shoot the Browning Gold NWTF 24" 3.5", I was going to post this almost verbatim.  I shoot a 2 3/4" 2oz hand load of 9's through a Carlson's .680 and get 340+ in the 10" 250+ in the 20".  The results will be very similar with the brands/loads mentioned by runngun.

Offline Mabren2

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 09:12:38 PM »
I bought a new gun this year (Browning Cynergy), and I spent way too much money testing TSS, haha.  I bought Verdict, Federal, Boss, Apex, and Foxtrot.  I bought 3” and 3.5”, but due to time, etc., I really only tested the 3” for this season.  The best pattern I got was with the Boss. It’s a 2.5 oz. 3” in load, and you know it when you pull the trigger.  I killed a bird with it this year.  A very close second (only a few pellets difference) was the Apex 2.25 oz. 3”.  They shot great, consistent patterns, and with price and availability in mind I would probably recommend these the most.  Verdict didn’t perform quite as well in my setups, but they weren’t terrible, and that doesn’t mean a different choke wouldn’t have made a difference.  I didn’t really get to test the Foxtrot, as I got those late in the game.  I wasn’t impressed with Federal at all, and for the money I would honestly take LB #6 over them all day.  The best chokes for me ranged between .660 and .675, although a couple of loads I felt may have done better with a choke more open than .675.  I hope this helps you get started, and good luck with your testing.  It was an expensive, yet fun spring for me, as I had never spent the time to do in depth pattern testing before.  It did improve my confidence 100%, and when the time came, the shot was the least of my worries.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 01:07:27 AM »
I know that you will be impressed with the Foxtrot ammo loads. I ain't shot a bad one yet!! From 12 gauge 3 1/2, 3 inch, 20 gauge, and his 28 gauge "Cherry Bombs". They have all been excellent for me.  He's a great guy and will make sure that you get what you want/need.

Have a good one, Bocephus

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.