OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Minnesota birds are tough  (Read 485 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Minnesota birds are tough
« on: May 23, 2023, 09:47:38 PM »
I still have 1 week of hunting public land turkeys here in MN and have found the birds to be very vocal and rather reluctant to come all of the way to the call. The WMA that I am hunting is made up of open rolling hills of plowed fields with woods on the roughest areas that can't be farmed. This is where the birds are usually heard. I have heard birds gobbling in a location, headed off in that direction to close the gap and discover that after 400 yards of walking that I am still 500 yards away from him as the sound carries a long distance here, and I ain't used to that.

I will continue to chase them until the bitter end.

On the other hand, I saw 2 longbeards walking the railroad together within 120 yards of where I live, right here in St. Paul. Right now I'm thinking in terms of a high-end air rifle.

It isn't over yet.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Minnesota birds are tough
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 10:34:11 PM »
Stick with them. You’ll find one willing to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:02:24 PM »
When you go into that area and call to them turkeys take into account where the most likely places are that others have called to them from and avoid doing the same. Try to find and call to the turkeys from areas that are less likely to have been frequented by hunters and call from there.

Most MN public land turkeys have played the game before. Exspecially this late in the season.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:11:43 PM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline BBR12

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 09:57:00 PM »
Stick with them Norman. They still talking that’s a great thing. I’m talking to the wife right now about a Hail Mary run back to PA for what will be at best 3.5 days of hunting. I was up there first of last week for a few days and got real close. Could have killed a bull gobbling jake. 15 hour drive for 1 bird is hard to decide.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 05:50:23 AM »
Vocal but unwilling here too boss. We are going to try a little different tactic up here on saturday. Our birds on the land we have permission for are big woods birds. No fields around. We are going in extra early and trying to get right under them. I hate it, but if I had a field to hunt I would put up a blind and set some decoys and hunker down for the day. Toms will be cruising for the unbred hens and I would let them do the work. Or I could just wait for the black flies to weigh down a nice gobbler and run him down, lol. They are thick right now. Z

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 09:50:31 AM »
I am happy to report that although MN birds are tough...The Roaring 20's are TOUGHER! Lead one into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this morning. Great hunt for a 3 year old Casanova right off of the roost. Photos and story to come. Phew brothers, that was close.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:56:37 AM »
WooHoo, congrats Boss  :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey: :drool: Z

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
That’s awesome.  Congrats.  I knew you’d find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 03:43:23 PM »
Congrats FC on a public land Tom.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 08:52:55 PM »