OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 saddle mount?

Started by Sloppy snood, April 14, 2023, 02:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sloppy snood

Looking to put a saddle mount on my 12 ga.Remington 870 Magnum
My question ...is there a difference in fit between the magnum and say, a wingmaster ?

PV266

No difference in the receivers...my suggestion however would be to use a Meadow Creek rib mount instead.

the Ward

I've had good luck using saddle mounts on older 870's with the metal trigger groups, but be
be cautious using them on newer 870's with the polymer trigger guards. I have had the saddle
mount pinch together the receiver sides when tightened down, causing feeding issues. I don't
know if it was just that particular gun, or if it was the plastic trigger assembly compressing that caused it, but
I didn't have any problems with the metal trigger guns and saddles. Make sure you snug up mag cap well, and don't remove barrel after sighting in or you may have a wandering poi/poa.

Sloppy snood

Thanks for the responds.
I currently have a saddle mount on my browning gold hunter 12 ga. With a Holosun 510c .
I would like to mount a red dot on an old 870 sp with a rifle site and turkey choke barrel so there is no vented rib.
I also need to have a raised mount which the saddle mount provides because I am left handed and legally blind in my left eye , Though I can shoot right handed I prefer shooting lefty and tipping my head enough to use my right eye.
If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears

PV266

Looks like a saddle mount may be your only option besides having it drilled and tapped.  I have used the composite saddle mount, I think a Weaver, on an 870 before but if you can find a quality aluminum one that would have a more rigid rail section that would work well.  Good luck

Sloppy snood

My thoughts also
Thanks for the response

rifleman

I've had a saddle mount on my 870 for quite a few years.  It works just fine the only word of caution is that you'd best hold the gun tight.  The reason is the recoil jams the sharp edge of the mount into the area between your thumb and index finger.  I have mine wrapped with the bandage material that sticks to itself.  There is a little extra kick from the Nitro Company shells though.