Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting on public land in Southern md help appreciated!

Started by Radams1989, May 20, 2023, 08:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radams1989

Ok guys I am hunting public land in Southern maryland. 275 acres. I sit above a steep ravine over looking a creek. I have tried locator call in evening and morning and hear nothing. Along with box call. What kind of terrain should I be looking for? Also why aren't they talking. Thanks guys!

GobbleNut

Don't know anything about turkey densities and/or hunting pressure in Maryland, but 275 acres of public land can get worked over pretty fast if there are very many hunters around.  Personally, if I was hunting there, I would have to be certain that there are gobblers there at all before I would waste much more time on a location like that.  If I was to guess, I would speculate that the reason you are not hearing any gobbling, especially at "prime time" in the morning, is because there is a good possibility there are no gobblers on the property.  If it was me, I would be looking for other options. 

Now, if that is your only option (or you just are determined to hunt there), my first inclination would be to expand your hunting area by hunting the perimeter of the property in hopes of hearing gobblers on the adjacent properties and trying to call them onto the public stuff.  You can turn 275 acres into a much larger huntable area by understanding that gobblers that are interested in your calling have no comprehension of land ownership.  In addition, there is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to do that,...UNLESS you are aware that there is someone else engaged with any such bird,...and they got there first (but the same applies to any hunting situation).   :icon_thumright:

Lcmacd 58

Above is good advise .... without knowing more about the hunting area it's hard to give advice.  You need to confirm your around turkeys first.

Greg Massey

Agree, with what others have said, did you do any scouting before the season opened to determine if it had any turkeys on the 275 ac.?  Are you seeing any tracks, scratching etc while moving around on the 275 ac. ?    Be sure and check along the creek bottom for tracks and dropping.  From what you have told us in your post, my guess is that 275 ac. doesn't hold turkeys ... Boots on the ground before season is you best way to find turkeys and see if you can find out the rural mail carrier for that area and see if he/she can help you with and turkey sighting they may of encountered while delivering the mail... They are on the road 6 days a week...

Radams1989

I found 0 tracks but I know turkeys have been killed on the property for a fact but I see 0 signs of turkey