Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

5-19-23 Early Morning Gobbler

Started by Tom007, May 19, 2023, 10:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I located this guy yesterday at 11:30. We can only hunt till noon. He gobbled at me only a few times. I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon scouting where I heard the gobbles. Found a logging trail loaded with scratches and what seemed to be strut marks. I decided that I would be here first thing in morning. Cleared spot under big beach tree well hidden from the logging trail. Got in today at 4:40 am. He started gobbling at 5:10. He was about 250 yards away. I decided to stay put. He flew down at daylight, gobbled going away from me. I did a few soft clucks, he answered. I decided to stay put and not call anymore. He would occasionally gobble, as he moved from my left to right, staying a hundred yards or so away. It got quiet at 6:20. The last gobble was to my right 100 or more yards away. I scratched the leaves. After a few minutes, boom he gobbled below me at about 75 or so yards. I clucked softly, scratched leaves. He gobbled. No more calling for me. I had my gun up on my knee pointed down logging trail. Here he comes around corner of trail at 30 yards. He stopped behind a tree, I put head on red dot. He stepped forward, boom. Nice bird, an upgrade for me. Great morning for sure.....thx for listening....
"Solo hunter"

Delmar ODonnell

Congrats Tom! Great story. That tree looks like it was made to put your back against and yelp one up.

As someone who admittedly probably moves too much and bounces from tree to tree, I love hearing and learning from successful stories involving soft calling and patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!   And well-played !!!

CONGRATS on a great bird !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

POk3s

Oh yea Tom! From reading the story it just flat out appears you did everything right. Obviously he's dead...but it sounds like you just slow played him to perfection!

Oh... AND KILLER Bs TAKE THE LEAD!!!

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

I appreciate all your kind words, thanks so much.....
"Solo hunter"

harleytom

Great job Tom! Way to keep grinding on them!

twyatt

Jroddc

colinmaidens

Congratulations !  I really like reading these hunt stories.  They are also helpful to me because I have no idea what most other people do when turkey hunting.  I think I generally call and move too often. Thanks for sharing. 

Tom007

Appreciate all of you. Thank you!
"Solo hunter"

zelmo1

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Mossyguy

JeffC

Congrats Tom, another great story and bird.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr