turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite striker?

Started by CG1997, May 14, 2023, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauser06

I like to have a change of sound...but I carry 3 pots to get those different sounds.  I've started going toward more universal strikers opposed to very specific.  Carry 3 pits and 5 or 6 strikers and you got a big ole in your vest.

So far I'm really liking:
Frogwood
Snakewood
Ipe
Mac ebony

From titanium to ceramic and everything in between those have been running for me. 

Badger

I as well like to have a change of sound...but I carry 2 or 3 pots to get those different sounds.  I carry approx 4 strikers to help will the different sounds.
My favorite and universal striker is a two piece that is tipped with Australian Buloke. I also carry dymond wood, dymalux, and black locust. 

Greg Massey

snakewood, webbwood, Diamondwood, bloodwood. Wood Wise weatherproof striker... In the snakewood, i will have 2 different builders and styles ... These strikers will do everything and more with the pots i carry ....

Roost 1

sbbow

Snakewood,dymondwood,tulipwood,Ipe an bloodwood. I rotate ipe an bloodwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverBuck

Strikers seem to be an easy turkey hunting tool to collect. I've got a pile of em.
The one that would hurt the most to lose would be a purpleheart from John Sinclair. No matter what surface I use it on it takes the pot to another level. I don't think it has anything to do with who made it or that purpleheart is the best wood. I think because at one time that wood was alive... My point is, not all "X" type of wood strikers sound the same. Some strikers are special and I think lots of types of wood strikers can be The One.

JLH

Quote from: RiverBuck on May 21, 2023, 05:18:22 PM
Strikers seem to be an easy turkey hunting tool to collect. I've got a pile of em.
The one that would hurt the most to lose would be a purpleheart from John Sinclair. No matter what surface I use it on it takes the pot to another level. I don't think it has anything to do with who made it or that purpleheart is the best wood. I think because at one time that wood was alive... My point is, not all "X" type of wood strikers sound the same. Some strikers are special and I think lots of types of wood strikers can be The One.

Very well said!

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: RiverBuck on May 21, 2023, 05:18:22 PM
Indeed.  I have favorites I reach for more than others.  Haven't gotten around to use all in my collection but I'm working through it.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Riley1

bbcoach

JLH Frogwood.  This birch laminate striker will bring out the BEST in any call.  A heavy Dymondwood striker would be my #2 choice.

BDeal

Quote from: bbcoach on May 21, 2023, 09:28:04 PM
JLH Frogwood.  This birch laminate striker will bring out the BEST in any call.  A heavy Dymondwood striker would be my #2 choice.

Love my JLH Frogwood and Hickory as well. My calls don't seem to like the snakewood nearly as much. Dymondwood is still my first choice.

Wvgobbler

Dymondwood
Bloodwood
Lilac
Tulipwood
Yellow Heart
Purple Heart
B&W Ebony
Gabon Ebony all from Bill Lyman.

JLH Frogwood.

Jfowler82

Hard to beat a Lyman hickory or just a good ole two piece hickory!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Jfowler82 on May 24, 2023, 05:31:40 PM
Hard to beat a Lyman hickory or just a good ole two piece hickory!

I have a Tulipwood I live from him as well. One of the first strikers I get from any call maker are a Tulipwood, Ipe and Persimmon now that I have learned what I like for the most part. There are still so many wood types to learn though. Your father had nice ones as well, if not for my hand problems I would use more of his. (They make my hands hurt, my problem, not his)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

chbarnha

I have to add a recommendation.... Get a JLH carbon when you get a frogwood. I have 5 carbons and one is always on the hunt.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak