OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite striker?

Started by CG1997, May 14, 2023, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG1997

What's your favorite do all strikers? I know Rutland dymondwood is a common one. What else?

Seminole Custom Calls

Personally I don't leave the house with out a snakewood, Rutland, or tulipwood. There are a lot of good options but those are My top 3. A lot of people like ipe purple heart is a northern good choice. But alot of it is just preference what sound are you looking to get?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CG1997

Quote from: Seminole Custom Calls on May 14, 2023, 01:49:34 PM
Personally I don't leave the house with out a snakewood, Rutland, or tulipwood. There are a lot of good options but those are My top 3. A lot of people like ipe purple heart is a northern good choice. But alot of it is just preference what sound are you looking to get?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I'm not after any particular sound. I play several different surfaces so looking for several strikers that play well on all surfaces. I have heard dymondwood, snakewood, and Ipe are good options. Also heard frogwood is good.

HookedonHooks

Standard Frogwood from Jeff Harrison at JLH strikers is a must have for a "do all".

CG1997

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 14, 2023, 01:56:27 PM
Standard Frogwood from Jeff Harrison at JLH strikers is a must have for a "do all".
I will add that to my list lol I'm curious what exactly sets certain strikers apart from others when they're made out of the same material? Is it striker shape, amount of material used(weight), tip shape?

doublespurs21

that's a very good question........  i always wondered that myself.........

Sir-diealot

Tulipwood
Ipe
third would be a 3 way tossup between Persimmon, Black Locust and Hickory.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CG1997

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 14, 2023, 08:54:14 PM
Tulipwood
Ipe
I've got an Ipe and snakewood coming to try out from Cross Road game calls. I'm not familiar with them but his strikers are very reasonably priced on ebay so I figure it's worth a try. The snakewood isn't highly figured but should give the same affect I'd imagine

Sir-diealot

Quote from: CG1997 on May 14, 2023, 08:58:18 PM
Tulipwood
Ipe
I've got an Ipe and snakewood coming to try out from Cross Road game calls. I'm not familiar with them but his strikers are very reasonably priced on ebay so I figure it's worth a try. The snakewood isn't highly figured but should give the same affect I'd imagine
He has different quality of strikers, he has one set that I would call a starter set which was the first set I had from him, they were decent for the most part, only one of them I did not care for. I have made I think 6 of his pot call kits now and a box call kit and all were very well done, he takes his time to answer your questions and is very polite while doing so. I have a better quality striker that came with a kit but I have never used it so I have no comment on that one other than if felt much better in my hands than that first set.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

CG1997

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 14, 2023, 09:10:56 PM
Tulipwood
Ipe
He has different quality of strikers, he has one set that I would call a starter set which was the first set I had from him, they were decent for the most part, only one of them I did not care for. I have made I think 6 of his pot call kits now and a box call kit and all were very well done, he takes his time to answer your questions and is very polite while doing so. I have a better quality striker that came with a kit but I have never used it so I have no comment on that one other than if felt much better in my hands than that first set.
Well I guess we will see how they are when they get here. I do plan to pick up a couple JLH strikers once he's caught up on orders. Frogwood and something else, I haven't decided

Sir-diealot

Quote from: CG1997 on May 14, 2023, 09:44:47 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 14, 2023, 09:10:56 PM
Tulipwood
Ipe
Well I guess we will see how they are when they get here. I do plan to pick up a couple JLH strikers once he's caught up on orders. Frogwood and something else, I haven't decided
Jeff is a nice guy and makes nice strikers.

John Koenig:

bowbird87

Overall Jeff (JLH) makes my favorite strikers. But of all the custom strikers I have from Jeff, Fowler, Lyman, Brad Roberts etc. The one that never leaves my vest is a plastic top striker from Darrin Dawkins. It just sounds good on any pot you put it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnandy

I use David Halloran Dymond wood on my Ol Yeller and it sounds great. I like running JLH frogwood on my glass calls and on Halfords acrylic. It flat makes it come alive!

CG1997

I do like dymondwood on my ceramic and slate. I'm definitely picking up a frogwood, just can't decide what else would be a good "all arounder" lol

wyetterp

No matter what kind of pot surface or striker I'm using, I always add
the JLH heavy cedar into the calling sequences. It turns every call into
a vastly different sound. Makes everything sound like a younger bird.
I'm a fan of trying to sound like a few different hens till they decide
they want to play.

Any time I pull out a pot & striker I'm also pulling out the heavy cedar
along with it.  I haven't found another striker, yet, that makes that huge
of a sound difference, comparatively.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.