turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

About to dive head first into call making

Started by slave601, May 06, 2023, 09:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

I've been running diaphragm calls for a little over 20 years now and I'm to the point I'm done with buying inconsistent calls. I am going to dive on in and buy the best of the best in call making material and such. Only thing is I don't know where to even start when it comes to a press and material. I'll only be making it for myself so I don't need anything commercially wise. If y'all could point me in the right direction it would definitely help. Thank y'all
"thinnin the flock"

Upfold99

Thad Bright. Feather Ridge Calls.
Sounds like your only option. IMO.  I have been making mine for the last 4 or 5 years.  No regrets.

Comp call press

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

slave601

Quote from: Upfold99 on May 06, 2023, 10:09:09 AM
Thad Bright. Feather Ridge Calls.
Sounds like your only option. IMO.  I have been making mine for the last 4 or 5 years.  No regrets.

Comp call press

Thank you! What about latex frames and tape? Sorry I don't have social media and I'm not up to par on who sells what nowadays
"thinnin the flock"

Upfold99

I use pioneer call supplies. There may be others.  I don't social media other than OG.

Contact for Thad use to be on pioneer website. Check there.

Lonehowl

Thad has a hand jig that is way cheaper than a full blown press. Ask him about that if your looking for more options. He also has an economy tape cutter as well.

slave601

Quote from: Lonehowl on May 06, 2023, 01:46:29 PM
Thad has a hand jig that is way cheaper than a full blown press. Ask him about that if your looking for more options. He also has an economy tape cutter as well.
Is the hand jig as precise as the press?
"thinnin the flock"

compton30

Quote from: slave601 on May 07, 2023, 08:55:02 AM

Are you a good enough caller to justify the expense of a press?

slave601

Quote from: compton30 on May 07, 2023, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: slave601 on May 07, 2023, 08:55:02 AM

Are you a good enough caller to justify the expense of a press?
I feel like I am. I'm knocking 40 years old and I've never had nor let someone call up a bird for me. I've always been a do it on my own type of caller. I've been offered pro staff opportunities before but I do not care for the lime light. I keep to myself pretty much. I've Attended the calling competitions at the convention and even tho I'm not any where near their level I feel I'm above par
"thinnin the flock"

compton30

Then get a press. A hand jig creates very good calls consistently, but it's never going to be as precise as a press. As long as you have the ear and talent to notice those very small tone differences, fire away

slave601

Quote from: compton30 on May 08, 2023, 07:02:31 AM
Then get a press. A hand jig creates very good calls consistently, but it's never going to be as precise as a press. As long as you have the ear and talent to notice those very small tone differences, fire away
That's what I was needing to hear. Thanks Compton
"thinnin the flock"

GregGwaltney

I owned one of Thad's presses and it was awesome, only sold it because I don't run mouth calls these days. Highly recommended and you can sell it easily at a slight discount if you decide to some day.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet