Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The best day ever

Started by Yoder409, May 05, 2023, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Cousin has been here all week from Florida.  The weather has SUCKED.  Hunting spring turkeys in my December/January deer hunting clothes.  The weather kinda broke yesterday mid-morning and we got on a whole gaggle of hard-gobbling birds around 10:45.  They were on a strut zone with hens but started in....dragging their feet.......       They wanted the sluttiest calling I could throw at them.  At +/- 75 yards they were JUST outta sight when the clock struck 12:00 (quitting time) and our turkey carriage turned into a pumpkin.  Told Cuz that it's tough walking away from that.  But I didn't wanna queer the area for Plan B.

Plan B was get in on them in super-stealth mode at 0-dark:30 this morning........which we did.  We set up shoulder-to-shoulder about 90 yards uphill from where the birds were roosted.  Gobbling commenced........hen talk commenced.......  I told Cuz we wanted to TRY to double, but make SURE he got a bird.  I never made a sound til I saw the first bird drop out.  It hit the ground and I made a couple clucks and a very soft run of yelps.  More birds dropped out.  I repeated the same sort of calls and within 30 seconds Cuz whispers "They're coming !!".  I can see black backs.  Then a couple or 3 white heads.  The 2 lead toms were about 20 feet apart coming at us.  Told Cuz to get on he left one.  I was on the right one.  The birds stopped at 25-30 yards.  Cuz whispers "When can I shoot ??"  I said "Whenever you want".  He let rip.  I let rip. We jumped up and ran hurried to the birds..........except his wasn't there.  Not even a cut feather where it stood.  He said "I KNOW that I hit it !!!"   I saw it drop with my eyes, too.  But instantly took my eyes away to shoot mine.  We spread out and looked 25-30 yards past where his bird had stood and found NOTHING.  Now he's bummed.  I'm more bummed than him (this was only his 4th real day ever hunting turkeys).  I told him that stuff happens.  Pattern is small at close range......birds move............ etc.   He was like "I KNOW that I was on that thing's neck and I squeezed slow".  I started to gather up my bird and Cuz is walking out through the woods and he yells "It's right here !!  It's dead !!"    Never in 44 years of shooting these crummy things have I seen anything like it.  Dead.  Bright red blood running from he head and beak.  40 YARDS from where it took a 3" 12 gauge Longbeard #5 !!!  Don't ask.  I don't know.  All I know is I LOVE IT when a plan comes together !!!!!!!!

Sorry, guys.  No upgrade for me.  Didn't weigh mine.  But it was light.  16-17 pounds.  Pair of 3 year birds.  10" beards and 1 1/8" sharp spurs on Cuz's bird...... 1 1/16" and sharp on mine.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

harleytom

Sounds like a great memory made, congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats to you both, sounds like a great hunt! Glad your cousin found his Tom.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

maddog3355

Happy

Nice Yoder! Congrats on the first one as well. Its a dandy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on May 05, 2023, 06:01:17 PM
Nice Yoder! Congrats on the first one as well. Its a dandy

Thank ye, sir !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Vintage

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Twowithone

Congrads on the job well done.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

WildSpur

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

POk3s

That'll do just fine! Well done guys!

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a great hunt for you guys!!! Big congrats!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

zsully

Congrats Yoder!!!!! Awesome bird and story!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

zelmo1

That's how they write those days up bro, lol. Nice day with your cuz  :turkey2: Z