OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Long Box suggestion  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Stumpy13

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Long Box suggestion
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2023, 08:48:43 PM »
Billy White has sold a few of his cackle boxes on EBay here lately . I have one with a Purple Heart lid and it sounds really nice . I typically use it more on windy days as it is louder than my go to call but it sounds nice when calling softer .

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »
Steve Mann Cedar over Yellow Poplar.  I also have Mann Cedar over Black Walnut that is a close second.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Online Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 08:08:48 PM »
Don Watkins, Ernie Fetters, Russell Beard and a gentleman who's name I can't recall right now but many will remember his video that had the word Lightning i.n the title. There is a picture of him and I think Don Williams sitting together and one has a card up that says Advise $1.00 the other had a card that says Good Advice $1.50 hoping someone can help me this name. Edit: Ralph Snodgrass is who I was trying to remember.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Think your thinking of Ralph Snodgrass Steve. I only have a few longboxes Rick Harro, Steve Mann, Lonnie Mabry and Ernie Fetters all make great ones IMO.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 09:27:08 PM »
Don Watkins, Ernie Fetters, Russell Beard and a gentleman who's name I can't recall right now but many will remember his video that had the word Lightning i.n the title. There is a picture of him and I think Don Williams sitting together and one has a card up that says Advise $1.00 the other had a card that says Good Advice $1.50 hoping someone can help me this name. Edit: Ralph Snodgrass is who I was trying to remember.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Think your thinking of Ralph Snodgrass Steve. I only have a few longboxes Rick Harro, Steve Mann, Lonnie Mabry and Ernie Fetters all make great ones IMO.
Yep, that's who it was, thanks.  I could have sworn I had edited that in there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MattinIdaho

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 10:08:25 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up ordering a box from Mr Fetters. His choice on wood. Looking forward to playing it!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 12:30:52 PM »
In no particular order , Marlin, Jeff Mckamey or Ernie Fetters

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up ordering a box from Mr Fetters. His choice on wood. Looking forward to playing it!

You will NOT be disappointed !!!!    :icon_thumright:

Ernie is among the elite masters of longbox building/tuning.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Alabama556

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2023, 08:05:40 AM »
I got one in the mail from Jeff Mckamey yesterday and it is killer. Bloodwood over butternut.

I am not that experienced with a long box but I found it to be super easy to play.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2023, 02:24:21 PM »
I got one in the mail from Jeff Mckamey yesterday and it is killer. Bloodwood over butternut.

I am not that experienced with a long box but I found it to be super easy to play.

Jeff's boxes are outstanding. And built by a good guy, too.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
I have an Ernie fetter that makes a whole lot of turkey sounds

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Haggstromjohnd

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2023, 07:49:51 PM »
Steve Mann Cedar over Yellow Poplar.  I also have Mann Cedar over Black Walnut that is a close second.

Pumped for mine...