turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting rasp on box call

Started by bnew17, May 03, 2023, 10:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnew17

I am a beginner callmaker. Correct me if I am wrong but I have read where tapering the top rail from screw end to opposite end helps produce a more pronounced rollover. I love running real raspy mouth calls so I would like to get that out of my boxes. Generally speaking what part of tuning helps with getting the rasp? Or does it coincide with lowering the high pitch of the call?

I am focusing on solid body , non checkered calls. It seems i get to the point where my rails are 1/8" , yet i am still too high pitched. But when I look at all these other incredible calls on here most rails appear to be 1/8" or slightly thicker.

packmule

The wood combo and your hold on the handle will have a huge effect on the rasp, more so than your tuning.

GregGwaltney

So many variables invloved.....Height of the walls, where is it thick/thin on the vertical and horizontal axis, shape of the contact surface, weight of the lid, radius of the lid, type of wood of lid/box, etc.....And of course, the way the call is played matters too.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

vt35mag

If you have several boxes from other call makers a lot of your questions can be answered by looking close and comparing those calls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk