OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who do i need to get

Started by OLE RASPY, June 30, 2011, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

To make me a box call.I want shrt box call thats full of turkey.It dont need to be a fancy design.And what kind of wood do i need to go with.I like the spalted wood.Wouldnt mind maybe having a gobbler strutting on the lid burnt on it.There is several on here and i cant make my mind up.So any of you had dealings with somebody making you a box call please speak up here or a pm.let me know.Thanks.Dont need it until spring, maybe fall.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: OLE RASPY on June 30, 2011, 09:56:33 PM
To make me a box call.I want shrt box call thats full of turkey.It dont need to be a fancy design.And what kind of wood do i need to go with.I like the spalted wood.Wouldnt mind maybe having a gobbler strutting on the lid burnt on it.There is several on here and i cant make my mind up.So any of you had dealings with somebody making you a box call please speak up here or a pm.let me know.Thanks.Dont need it until spring, maybe fall.

You might want to decide if you are looking for a turkey call to call turkeys or to look nice on a mantle.  Sounds like you are going for "purty" factor from your description.  Keep in mind that some woods are incapable of producing some sounds.  I'm not a box call maker, so I won't claim to know the properties of spalted woods on a box call, but unless they are stabilized in a pot call, they produce a much different sound than more stable wood.  That said, some of my favorite box calls are made of woods that are very visually attractive.  My favorites so far are sassafras and butternut.  That said, I'm sure there are folks here that can build you either a "looker" and/or a dead to rights turkey calling machine.  Good luck.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

OLE RASPY

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on July 01, 2011, 10:39:48 AM
Quote from: OLE RASPY on June 30, 2011, 09:56:33 PM

You might want to decide if you are looking for a turkey call to call turkeys or to look nice on a mantle.  Sounds like you are going for "purty" factor from your description.  Keep in mind that some woods are incapable of producing some sounds.  I'm not a box call maker, so I won't claim to know the properties of spalted woods on a box call, but unless they are stabilized in a pot call, they produce a much different sound than more stable wood.  That said, some of my favorite box calls are made of woods that are very visually attractive.  My favorites so far are sassafras and butternut.  That said, I'm sure there are folks here that can build you either a "looker" and/or a dead to rights turkey calling machine.  Good luck.
I have decided.Its in my post.DONT NEED FANCY DESIGN.i want one thats full of turkey.I think i can get one made thats (purty) and sounds good to.But it dont have to be.But from alot a guys making boxes that i see on here there both.Thanks for telling me bout spalted woods didnt know that.Maybe it aint possible dunno.Sassafras might be a choice.

ChiefBubba

This is the only one I've seen I got it a few years ago from a call maker in WV. Only the lid is spalted the box is cedar I believe. It sounds good but I liked the longer call on the right side better. Chief.

BowBendr

OLE RASPY

Thanks guys for the replies.I am going to get Gobblez with spring creek custom calls to make me a shrt box walnut/sycamore.

Spring Creek Calls

Thanks Raspy, I promise you a good one!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com