Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Well.............

Started by Yoder409, April 28, 2023, 07:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

It ain't as bad as what they were calling for just a couple days ago...........

But definitely NOT the forecast I'd pick for our PA opener if I had my choice.  But, I don't have my choice, so...........

2023-04-28_07-46-18 by Yoder 409, on Flickr
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

harleytom

Hunted in worse, as I'm sure you have as well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

You will get em buddy, ain't no rain stopping you! Best of luck to ya!
"Solo hunter"

Mossyguy

If I was like I used to be it didn't matter what the weather was doing...killed a few in weather I had no business being in. But it is opening day so you gotta go!

Yoder409

Doesn't appear to be TOO terribly foul a the moment.

Here we go !!!     :z-guntootsmiley:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 29, 2023, 04:27:02 AM
Doesn't appear to be TOO terribly foul a the moment.

Here we go !!!     :z-guntootsmiley:

Go get em brother! Good luck
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Lousy rainy and clammy this morning.

Decided to hit a field edge where 1 or 2 longbeards (when it's 2, the one is definitely bigger and dominant) have been dropping into the corner most mornings.  6:05 one gobbles off that corner.  Total of 4 times.  I tree call once.  I hear a heavy bird pitch out.  Then a second heavy bird.  Quiet for a little bit and after about 5 minutes I run a few soft yelps and one bird gobbles.  And he basically won't stop.  Bu stayed in that low corner for about 15-20 minutes.  I decided to get a little slutty with him and he was on the move !!!  I look out to where the field rolls down and there's a white head and fan.  he comes in on an angle to my right......gobbling the whole way.  But it's the subordinate bird.  Both birds' beard are 9-10-ish.  But the dominant bird's is much heavier.  So, I heard 2 heavy birds fly down........ I know the bigger bird is coming.  This dude is at 35 yards or so.......looking for the hen and not seeing her.......and starting to leave back the woods line I'm sitting in.

Well...........his bigger buddy WASN'T coming.  If that was him that flew down with the subordinate bird, he never gobbled today.  The one that did come in, left and went across the valley......gobbling the whole time.  I go back on him around 10:15.  Fired him up again from about 400 yards away.  He started and closed to about 150-175 yards in a HURRY.  I went quiet on him.  Next time I heard him he was back at the 400 yard line.

Somewhere, here, there's a "bird in the hand....2 in the bush" moment............

See what greed'll git ya ???    :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

a_jabbo

I wouldn't call it greedy, just trying to make the season last as long as possible!!!

The weather Saturday was rough, and the guy that drove up the well road with total disregard for my truck that was parked at the entrance was even rougher

Yoder409

Don't ya just LOVE people ???    :character0029:

PA elitist since 1979

Tom007

You'll get him, just a matter of time :fud:
"Solo hunter"