Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

A classic afternoon hunt, until.....

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 25, 2023, 06:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I went out this afternoon at 15:00 to where I had placed a pop up blind overlooking a travel path where I routinely see turkeys. There are 2 very active dust bowls with lots of feathers, poops and fresh tracks.
I set out a DSD leading hen between the bowls. I periodically floated some soft clucks and yelps. 45 minutes after I started calling I spotted a lone gobbler walking and looking, popping in and out of strut on my neighbor's property. I picked up my glass pot and clucked twice, then softly yelped. The tom hammered his approval and went into full strut. I softly clucked and yelped again and he gobbled again. Then I gave him the silent treatment.
He strutted his way towards the barbed wire fence that separates my place from the cattle ranch next door. He was approaching from my right, so I turned my scattergun to my opposite shoulder. When he reached the fence, he gobbled, then dropped out of strut and ducked under to my property. The angle he was coming in on was severe, and the stock wasn't square on my shoulder, and I should have been more patient. I settled the green dot on his neck and let the TSS fly. The stock immediately slipped off my shoulder and rode up, smacking my face. The gobbler jumped up and to the side and took off running. By the time I reloaded the single shot, he was disappearing over the hill and out of my life.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I've been hunting turkeys for a little over 30 years, and that was my 3rd miss, one of which was due to a faulty scope. So I guess I can't complain about missing once every 10+ years. BUT, this was a classic and perfect hunt......... until I missed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Sorry Jim, that sucks for sure.  Two kinds of experienced turkey hunters. 

1) Those that have missed
and
2) Liars.  :blob10:

I had a very similar hunt in the forest and called him in to 35 yards.  Flopped him over and as I got up to collect my prize, up he popped and took off running in thick palmetto.  Missed the follow ups because I was so shocked. That one still sticks in my craw because I have no idea why I did not kill him.  Killed them closer and further with that same gun. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hayudog

I think if I tried to shoot left handed it would be similar fate. I think I've missed more than 3x's. Sorry for your miss.

TrackeySauresRex

Someone put some bad Juju on us today JimBo. Im still shaking my head, I was so PO'd when I whiffed today. I usually shoot my gun after a miss but didn't today. I definitely wasn't rock solid and was twisted around. I don't want to be thinking about this in the morning when I'm up against a tree.
Good luck and shoot straight.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hayudog on April 25, 2023, 08:15:42 PM
I think if I tried to shoot left handed it would be similar fate.
Doug, I've shot off of my weak side shoulder for years, at duck, deer and turkeys. Never had a problem until today. I think it was the severe angle that caused the miss. That, and my lack of patience at times. That was my first opportunity in Tennessee this season. I'm sure if I get another opportunity I'll be more patient.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 25, 2023, 08:20:42 PM

Someone put some bad Juju on us today JimBo.
I was so PO'd when I whiffed today.
I usually shoot my gun after a miss but didn't today. I definitely wasn't rock solid...
Absolutely they did. It was probably the GOATS!!!
I still am PO'd Johnny!!! Not many hunts go picture perfect like this one started out as.
I'm sure it was me also. Plus since switching to Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR's on my turkey guns, they have never lost their zeros.
Shoot straight brother.

Dr Juice

That sux. I agree with gr8rvet. If you've never missed, you've never hunted! Keep at it and I know you will have a good news story for us soon! Good luck brother

JeffC

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 25, 2023, 08:58:50 PM

I usually shoot my gun after a miss but didn't today. I definitely wasn't rock solid...
I still am PO'd Johnny!!! Not many hunts go picture perfect like this one started out as.
I'm sure it was me also. Plus since switching to Trijicon Dual Illumination RMR's on my turkey guns, they have never lost their zeros.
Shoot straight brother.

I 100% agree with you Jim, Bad Grumpies juju, but it will only make the next successful hunt all the better, besides gives that Tom more time to put more inches on Beard and spurs!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zelmo1

I blame it on the goats as well, even before their formation. When the goats make me miss, I get a new gun. You cant break that spell without sacrificing some barnyard animal. I cant do it, they are innocent, unlike their human counterparts.  :funnyturkey: Z

Mountainburd

Get them next time rut. I was wondering how you've been doing in your "new" home state. I can't imagine shooting from the other side. I guess the red dot would make it easier but still. That's not easy.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 25, 2023, 08:58:50 PM

:TooFunny:

Another almost today, four big stutters all hend up that won't commit. Logging in four days this week tomorrow will be the last day of the first permit. Friday is calling for rain, I will catch up on some chores. Next week looks like a wet one. Fingers crossed.
Good luck to the rest.
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

g8rvet

Quote from: Mountainburd on April 26, 2023, 11:52:34 AM
Get them next time rut. I was wondering how you've been doing in your "new" home state. I can't imagine shooting from the other side. I guess the red dot would make it easier but still. That's not easy.

I had one bird left on a duck hunt and said "I am gonna kill this one left handed".  Took two tries (3 shots at 2 different birds).  To be fair, I will often shoot the last house of skeet left handed.  If you can shoot, you can shoot, just takes a little practice (and closing your dominant eye!)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Deputy 14

Happy

That sucks guys. I promise I had nothing to do with it. Really hope you guys rebound and score on even bigger gobblers

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 26, 2023, 08:48:10 AM
I blame it on the goats as well, even before their formation. When the goats make me miss, I get a new gun. You cant break that spell without sacrificing some barnyard animal. I cant do it, they are innocent, unlike their human counterparts.  :funnyturkey: Z