OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public Land Birds

Started by Waterhead, April 25, 2023, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterhead

Got a question for everyone!

Hunting heavily pressured turkeys on public land.

All the turkey's I've seen this year and past have either been in bottoms or no more than 1/3 up a ridge. Also, have only heard hen's cluck, no yelps or anything else.

Year's past I've always heard gobbles at daybreak and been able to move on them but then they are silent after they hit the ground. This year not a single gobble.

My thought, they are so pressured that they barely make any noise and stay low in bottoms so not easily seen.

For the last 2 weekends of the season I'm going to get in well before sunrise and set up in some open bottoms. Possibly a few clucks but nothing more. If by chance I hear a gobble then maybe move on it just to close some distance if not already less than 150 yds.

Am I thinking correctly or does anyone have any other thoughts?

g8rvet

Are you seeing tracks, scratching, poop, etc.  Make sure there are birds there in the area.  If so, stick with it.  Open bottoms are tough for moving and then when they come in, they can see a long way and don't want to finish.  Make your setup sound like you are in a thick area so he has to come looking for you.  Best advice I got on here was my choice of setup and I took it to heart.  Has killed a bunch of birds for me.

Another thought is hunt as late in the day as you can, they get used to everyone getting out of the area and may be more active. 

I like the clucks and add leaf scratching in as well.  They can hear that a long way off.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Waterhead

Where I'm planning on spending the next couple weekends I've seen some scratching and a couple tracks here and there. Walked up on a tom last weekend after walking up on 2 deer.

Figure get in before sunrise with snacks and extra coffee and just get comfy and take a nap or something.

Can only hunt until 1:00pm so hoping I can make it until then.

Lcmacd 58

Your plans sound much like mine .... we hunt the same scenario.... public .... lots of pressure .... very little gobbling ... I start trying to fill my 3rd tag here in Illinois on Thursday..... I'm out every morning for 3 to 5 hours watching

Greg Massey

People don't realize turkeys can take very little pressure...  My opinion is you will have to get into the bubble of where the turkeys are wanting to go to be successful.