turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

100 yrd patterns

Started by Lone Star Eastern, April 22, 2023, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Jokes aside, I was thinking about something while it the woods today, when my setup was in a clearing not very wide, thinking one may come through it. Many are concerned about getting tight patterns at 40+ yards, and are testing different choke and shell configurations to find the most optimal at long distances.

But what are these patterns looking like at 20 yards, or less? It seems these patterns on YouTube and such are so tight at 40+, they've got to be quarter sized up close. If a bird sneaks up on you from a non ideal direction, are they planning to just wait for them to get further away to where their pattern will open up some, or are they resorting to body shots?

I may be wrong, but I think I would almost rather try to get most birds in closer, and still be able to get those "in your lap" shots without having to serve the family ground turkey burgers that evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejd

You are correct its equally as important to know your patter at all intervals up to your max.
I know for me most of my birds are killed closer then 20 yds.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: mikejd on April 23, 2023, 12:04:06 AM
You are correct its equally as important to know your patter at all intervals up to your max.
So, with that in mind, what are you shooting?

ChesterCopperpot

Most patterns at 20 through these chokes are going to be grapefruit size or a fuzz bigger. My point of aim definitely shifts when they get on top of you and I typically come down just into the feathers, so just below the major caruncles. Less movement there than up top and typically still plenty of space between there and the breasts throwing a grapefruit at them. This argument though is why the double is so appealing as a turkey gun. I'm currently building a 20ga sxs for this exact reason. I'll likely run a turkey choke and an improved modified.

BandedSpur

Yep, that's exactly why I have been shooting an O/U since 2009. ;)

mikejd

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on April 23, 2023, 12:07:57 AM
Quote from: mikejd on April 23, 2023, 12:04:06 AM
So, with that in mind, what are you shooting?

I am shooting a jebs 660 and longbeard 4s. I am a little bigger than a grapefruit at 20 and nice at 40
and truthfully thats all i need. I am actually aiming when i shoot I feel that my pattern is not all that important up close. I am focused on my shot just like im shooting my rifle at a deer so I do not need that much room for error. Truthfully i can probably hit him in the head with my rifle so a grapefruit is great. More important is that
your POA is same as POI if those are not same you have a different challenge. I shoot just a bead to I went through a dozen chokes until I found 1 that lined up same POI for POA.

wchadw

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 23, 2023, 07:42:00 AM
Yep, that's exactly why I have been shooting an O/U since 2009. ;)
X2

sswv

read the title and my neighbor instantly come to mind.  He give me a shout last year to tell me about his new $1100.00 turkey gun. it's a 12ga 3.5" auto something. anyway, he said the guy at the LGS told him with the right ammo he was good to go out to 100 yards. he ordered a box and while he was away they showed up and his wife about had a fit when she found out that those 5 shells shipped FedEx were almost $90.00  if that's how I had to gobbler hunt I'd just use my varmint rifle and save the money.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: sswv on April 23, 2023, 01:35:07 PM
read the title and my neighbor instantly come to mind.  He give me a shout last year to tell me about his new $1100.00 turkey gun. it's a 12ga 3.5" auto something. anyway, he said the guy at the LGS told him with the right ammo he was good to go out to 100 yards. he ordered a box and while he was away they showed up and his wife about had a fit when she found out that those 5 shells shipped FedEx were almost $90.00  if that's how I had to gobbler hunt I'd just use my varmint rifle and save the money.
That can't even be fun. The challenge makes it for me.