OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another successful hunt, youth’s first gobbler.

Started by cannonball, April 22, 2023, 11:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I took my Nephew hunting this morning and he bagged his first turkey. It was an extremely quick hunt, I had a bird roosted and he was gobbling his head off before sunrise. We got about 100 yards from him and set up. I waited until it was close to fly down and hit him with some soft tree yelps followed by a fly down cackle a couple minutes later. He immediately responded and soon after we heard him gobble three times in a row. My Nephew said he's further away now, I told him the bird was on the ground and that's why it sounded further away and muffled. A couple minutes later I heard him gobble and I could tell he was headed our way. It wasn't long before I heard him gobble again it was definitely much closer. I told my Nephew to get his gun up, the turkey was coming. It wasn't long until he came strutting in and when he got about 30 yards away and stuck his head up I told him to shoot. The turkey dropped straight down and didn't even flop. I think the recoil of the 20 gauge TSS shell caught him off guard and he lost sight of the bird because he asked if he had got him. I told him you smoked him and to go get his gobbler. I looked down at my watch and it was exactly 6:45 am. This was a great first bird and I'm extremely happy to have been part of it. I know the turkey won't count on the team contest but I wanted to score him anyway since he was such a nice gobbler. I was hoping he would score over 65 and he ended up at 68.36. What a great morning!

JeffC

Congrats to your nephew! You have some healthy mature Toms. On quite a roll this year, congrats again to both of you.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Happy

Congrats! Love seeing first timers have some success.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

FullChoke

Great hunt and a big congratulations to your nephew. It must have been satisfying to have the gobbler willing to really put on such a perfect show for him. Well done.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

Congrats that's a fine first bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1