News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Youth first call

Started by krm944, April 22, 2023, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

Good Morning

Standard disclaimer- I am not a Turkey caller or a Turkey hunter but my 9 year old son and I enjoy the time together. So far this year we are 100% successful- EVERY trip out we have seen a bird or heard a bird. I read rule #1 to killing a Turkey is being near a Turkey, so we definitely have that going for us!

Mini me is a spitting image of Dad and needs a call to put in his vest. What is the easiest, most forgiving, most durable pot call for him to scratch on and terrorize the flock? The HS Strut Cookie Cuttr is marketed as a beginner. Thoughts?

Greg Massey

If i was getting a youth call. my first call for him would be a box call... after he masters a box call, i would get him a pot call... IMO

Upfold99

How old is he?  I got my boy a beard hunter mini box. About 4.5" long.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ferocious calls

Ferocious has him covered. Would be honored to have him get Ferocious.

DocHolliday

davisd9

A good slate call would do him well
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

krm944

He is 9 years old. Just after we typed this out and were practicing with the call, a 20 pounder with 10" beard and 1" spurs came on a string and my little guy got his first Turkey! We typed the original message at 9:30 and we had to be back at the car at 10:30 for a soccer game! He is extremely proud of his harvest.

krm944

My little guy with his first bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Congrats on a fine gobbler ...

ferocious calls

Sweet success!! Congrats young man!!

aclawrence

I just posted about a call for my son in the pot call section and got some recommendations over there if you want to check it out.

ChesterCopperpot

Shoot me a message with a mailing address and I'll mail him some calls. Congrats on the first of many birds to come!

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 22, 2023, 10:23:24 AM
If i was getting a youth call. my first call for him would be a box call... after he masters a box call, i would get him a pot call... IMO

Agree with Greg, especially if you're hunting out of a blind.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

I have a Preacherman short box that practically runs itself. One of my sons has some difficulty with motor skills and he can run it convincingly. Jody's short boxes have a heft to them that allows the striker/lid to glide across the rails effortlessly. A lot of other maker's short boxes, one sliders too, are super easy for kids. I wouldn't recommend a longbox/ paddle call however, most lack a spring on the pivoting screw which allows for greater variability in sound but more difficulty in control. Once he quickly gets the hang of a good short box all you'll have to teach him is restraint.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

worth612000

Congratulations young man, that's a mighty fine turkey.