OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any trappers here?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Any trappers here?
« on: April 19, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »
Just wondering how many of you turkey hunters are trapping for the turkeys benefit?

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Any trappers here?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 04:42:54 PM »
Many of us.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Any trappers here?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 05:11:13 PM »
I would think the majority of land owners and leaseholders are probably doing predator management these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hipp2412

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 09:15:23 PM »
2 years ago I trapped a small property and I took out 6 coyotes, 21 fox and unknown incidental catches of coon and possums. Our turkey population appears to have doubled.
Hipp

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 09:38:25 PM »
I would love to get into trapping but I don’t have the time to check trap lines everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 09:40:14 PM »
I would love to get into trapping but I don’t have the time to check trap lines everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It’s definitely a lot of work…especially if you have a job.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »
Yep !!!

I was out of it for a lotta years due to work.  Got back in the game this past season a little bit.  But I plan a bit more of an all-out assault for the benefit of my turkeys THIS year.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Scottf270

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 09:56:47 PM »
Beginner trapper here. Been catching the crap outta coons and possums the last 3 years. Killed two toms this year and saw a group of 6 Jakes. Baby steps, but it's a start.

Offline wbpc

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 10:31:16 PM »
Started trapping several years ago. I enjoy trapping coyotes, fox and bobcats. I focus on coons and possums before and during nesting season. I definitely feel like our turkey population benefits from it some. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 09:20:23 PM »
I started more seriously the last 3 years and stepped it up a lot this past January - early March.  I would like to extend that more leading up to nesting but it’s hard to maintain with family and work obligations.  A friend and I trap together on some timber leases this year.  I don’t get to hunt on those, but any benefit to local area turkeys is worth it for me personally.   We removed a good number and mix of coyotes, bobcats, fox, coons, possums, and skunks.  I really enjoy it.  It’s a big effort and time commitment.

Offline zip

• Watermelon Pond Plantation
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 08:50:30 PM »
Absolutely! Mostly catching coons & possums. Hogs are an issue but haven't been too successful trapping them...yet!

Offline Tribute Custom Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 01:34:51 PM »
Still trapping some, but not nearly as much as I used to due to beyond poor fur prices unfortunately. I'm pretty sure everyone else in the area has given it up for that reason as well. Fox are all but nonexistent, but the coyotes seem to have taken the country over. Coon and possum..... good grief, there everywhere. The last few years I've seen a decrease in turkey population because of the increase predator population. Almost wish the DNR would bring back the Coyote Bounty.
Share the knowledge and introduce somebody to the Outdoors

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 11:04:51 AM »
Started trapping coons and possum last 3 years

Offline randywallace

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 11:30:21 AM »
Several years now.  We run about 50-60 traps on our land immediately after deer season to reduce numbers before spring nesting.

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 07:53:54 PM »
Virginia lets us use cell cameras to check our traps. If you search, you can find good cameras for 70 bucks.. To me, its made a world of difference in all aspects of trapping.