OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobblers go quiet after flydown

Started by colinmaidens, April 16, 2023, 01:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lcmacd 58

Again .... time in the woods is the most beneficial advice.
If your in an area where you can ease around quietly and slowly and use your binoculars.  When you do see them ..... make some low calls and watch how they respond.

GobbleNut

Quote from: colinmaidens on April 16, 2023, 01:50:34 AM
Hello.  I am new to the forum.  I'm not new to turkey hunting and have managed to kill several gobblers in the past but definitely am not consistently.  Many times I hear multiple birds on the roost but then they become silent when they come down off the roost.  Is this common for others or am I doing something wrong while they are still on the roost ?  I try to be very quiet setting up and only call sparingly until it seems like they are already gone.

As others have stated, a lack of gobbling after flydown is totally normal,...and should be expected more often than not from what I have seen over the decades.  I usually expect a gobble or two right after they fly down, and then silence for the most part,...although an occasional, sporadic, on-the-ground gobble is not all that unusual either.

There are sometimes rare exceptions to that general rule when gobblers are quite vocal after they come off the roost, and when that happens, it is sure a lot easier to plot strategies on how to get them killed.  Often, a gobbler that lets a hunter know right where he is too much is a gobbler that is not going to last long with the hunting pressure we have nowadays.  Conversely, the ones that have learned to keep their mouths shut are the ones most likely to survive to perpetuate the species,...not a good trend for those of us that hunt for the gobble!   ::) :D

Marc

Hello.  I am new to the forum.  I'm not new to turkey hunting and have managed to kill several gobblers in the past but definitely am not consistently.  Many times I hear multiple birds on the roost but then they become silent when they come down off the roost.  Is this common for others or am I doing something wrong while they are still on the roost ?  I try to be very quiet setting up and only call sparingly until it seems like they are already gone.

Things can be quite vocal on the roost.  Toms are gobbling to tell the hens where they are, and hens are yelping, sometimes cutting to let toms know where they are.

Once on the ground and together, there is no need for that tom to gobble anymore, as he is with his hens.  More often than not, once on the ground, and with hens, both sexes are far less vocal.

Seems that the best strategy with birds on the roost is to call sparingly...  I feel that if that tom is answering hens, but not my call, he has me made...  As soon as he answers one of my calls on the roost, there is no need to call anymore (until he is on the ground).

Hunting roosted birds, and killing them are two different things.  For most of the season, this is one of the most exciting times of the day to hunt, and also the most frustrating.  Tough to pull a bird away from live hens.

Now a bird that sits on the roost and gobbles later than normal, is often looking for that hen that is no longer there (i.e. on the nest).  If a bird is on the roost and gobbling, far later than normal (with no weather conditions), that can be a killable  bird.

Every conceivable strategy has been tried with some success, but more failure to kill birds with hens off the roost:

*Getting between the tom and the hens
*Irritating the hens so they come in for a fight and bring the toms with them
*Hoping the toms come to you before finding their hens
*Gobbling at the toms (with hen yelps) to instigate a fight with the dominant tom
*Fly-down cackles with wing-beats to entice the toms to you before he meets his own hens

Try to enjoy the morning and ignore the frustration.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

CntrlPAlongbeard

One of my favorite moves is to swoop into the roost area as soon as you can after fly down and start going nuts calling for like 60 seconds straight. I imagine I'm a pissed off hen that showed up to the roost tree 5 minutes late and I'm like "where the heck did you go". Then I sit quiet and soft call intermittently for 30 minutes.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Haggstromjohnd

cwhitfield96

Spring Legion had a good podcast recently with George Mayfield that had some good information regarding this.

shaman

It took me years to find out what was really going on.   You see, shortly after sunrise a little sandwich truck rolls down a road near the roost.  The turkeys flock to the truck and a little Korean guy passes out sandwiches and coffee.  The turkeys stand around and smoke a couple cigarettes and then go over to a manhole cover. Somehow they get the lid off and then they all jump in and roam around in the sewers until they emerge around Noon in a culvert next to the highway, just in time for you to see them there on your way home.

Trust me. This really happens.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Paulmyr

I think depending on where your hunting might have a big role in how turkeys behave after fly down. They may stay in the area throughout the day and hang around. You don't hear them but they're around.

In other case where I hunt big woods, many times after fly down and the gathering of the flock the group moves away from the roost site. If they're not gobbling you'll have no idea where they went. Could be a couple finger ridges over could be a quarter mile or more away.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Uncle Tom

Some times they do go quiet.....all depends on how they feel, react to coyotes around, the hens mood, other gobblers around, just on and on....you never know but one thing is certain.....turkeys being turkeys doing their thing. All we can do is roll with the flow and boy is that fun!