turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblers go quiet after flydown

Started by colinmaidens, April 16, 2023, 01:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinmaidens

Hello.  I am new to the forum.  I'm not new to turkey hunting and have managed to kill several gobblers in the past but definitely am not consistently.  Many times I hear multiple birds on the roost but then they become silent when they come down off the roost.  Is this common for others or am I doing something wrong while they are still on the roost ?  I try to be very quiet setting up and only call sparingly until it seems like they are already gone.

eggshell

Your not doing anything wrong. They most likely have hens with them

Tom007

Quite common if they are with hens. Head out and troll for other birds, return to that roost area mid morning. You will be surprised to see he may return to some soft calling to seduce the hen he left behind at daybreak......
"Solo hunter"

guesswho

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.   Unfortunately with turkey hunting you can do everything right and still go home empty handed more times than not.    The gobbler is the one who has to do something wrong. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Flatsnbay

Very common and frustrating too.. plenty of great advice given.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

This has been a definite problem in my area this year .... and the next day they gobble like crazy .... keep hunting

colinmaidens

Thanks for the great advice, it's actually good to hear that it's pretty common.   I am off a couple days this week so hopefully one will mess up ! Thank yall !

BennieGobbler

Def relax... take a nap... usually they will fire up again later in the day. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Lcmacd 58

jwp0020

Once hens are laying eggs and nesting after that, gobblers will tend to be more vocal.  I've killed several gobblers that had hens first thing in the morning, then when they snuck off to go lay an egg, he got fired up.  They are usually pretty cooperative when they're alone. 

Greg Massey

What you are experiencing is normal for the most part. You just have to keep hunting and find one that wants to play... more than likely this will take place late morning or midday .... Good luck...

Tnandy

Sounds like the hens or a hen has gotten to him before you got in the game good. If you could pen point his roost tree, I would definitely  squeeze in tight on him. I would be the first "hen" he hears in the morning. Might get him. I personally dont like to call real heavy to toms when they are on roost. I make my presence known and go from there. It is awesome listening to them gobble but not the best option, in my opinion. Good luck. Get in his bubble.....

mikejd

Where I hunt I have not heard a gobble after fly down in years. Its not always hen related they just go silent. I have not heard an afternoon or late morning gobble in I can not tell you how long. I just hunt them like deer after flydown.

worth612000

Yea, seem to be 1 or 2 where I'am at that gobble their heads off but alway doing a 180 from me. I mark them off being with hens. That still leaves the others lower in the pecking order that you can call to the gun. I know it's more exciting to hear and know that there coming. I listen for hens clucking also, a Tom will not be far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

They've been henned up all day long most of the season for the last several years around here. Gobblers will usually gobble if a hen they know comes in from a direction they expect nearby where the hen should know they are. The hen knows they'll be somewhere right around there at that time of day. She comes in and says "here I am", to which the gobbler replies "here I am".

If your calling and woodsmanship are on point you can get it done.