Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Tennessee limbhanger down

Started by cannonball, April 15, 2023, 06:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I got to my Uncle's farm about 5:30 this morning. I made my way up through the pasture right on the edge of the woods until I came to the top where it drops off and the field ends. I did an owl hoot and had a shock gobble about 100 yards down the ridge. It had rained overnight so I was able to quietly slip a little closer. I got to where I estimated the distance to about 75 yards and sat down. It was foggy so I expected fly down time to be delayed. About 6:45 I head him gobble again and it sounded like he was still on the roost. I hit him with a few very soft tree yelps and a couple clucks on my Brian Mero trumpet. He responded so I went quiet and waited for him to pitch down. Around 15 minutes later I heard him come off the roost. I waited a couple minutes and did a few soft clucks and purrs on my OG pushpin and went quite again. He didn't respond back and I thought he might have went another direction until I saw a white and blue head coming towards me. I eased my Tristar Viper up slowly and waited for him to get a little closer. He stopped to look around at what I estimated to be 30 yards and I sent a load of 20 gauge Apex Mossy Oak Greenleaf blends his way. I said a quick prayer before picking him up to thank the lord and the turkey for a successful hunt. I included a few pics below, full pictures with scoring will be in the Roaring 20's team section shortly.

paintbrush

Now that is a stud of a bird! Congrats!!

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3seasons

Wow!  That's a fine one. Huge congrats!! Sounds like it was a perfect hunt too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

That is an awesome gobbler. Congrats.

zelmo1

FullChoke

Cannonball,

What a pterodactyl! That bird is scary big! If he had sat out of the fight where damaged that one spur and it had been able to grow as big as the other, he would have scored around 82.26. That would have placed him as possibly the highest scoring bird in the history of this contest.

You made it sound like turkey hunting is easy.

Cheers ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

Quote from: FullChoke on April 17, 2023, 12:40:07 AM
Cannonball,

What a pterodactyl! That bird is scary big! If he had sat out of the fight where damaged that one spur and it had been able to grow as big as the other, he would have scored around 82.26. That would have placed him as possibly the highest scoring bird in the history of this contest.

You made it sound like turkey hunting is easy.

Cheers ;D

FC

Turkey hunting definitely isn't easy, but I'm lucky. Speaking of luck, just got back home and I'm 2 for 2. Two bird limit here in Tennessee so I'm tagged out. This one wasn't as big as my other one but I feel blessed to harvest him. Full story and pics for the scoring thread coming up.