Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Finally out of the chutes

Started by POk3s, April 14, 2023, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

I'm FORCED to be at work for a few more hours before finally getting to partake in the 2023 spring turkey hunting season. It has been great reading your guys's stories and seeing pics, but I've been shaking with anticipation, ready to get things going. Tomorrow, at gobble time I'll be in Nebraska, on a high bluff, listening intently. The wind chill is showing 10 degrees tomorrow morning, and honestly that's the best weather I can find. All my other spots are showing extremely high winds through the weekend. 

On Tuesday I'll be pulling into iowa to hunt their third season that starts on Wednesday. I don't know where I'll be other than that. I should have a little bit of leeway to hunt another state or maybe two, but that's all up to the good lord. I'm going to enjoy it for what it's worth, and if a plethora of filled tags come my way, I will take it with open arms. If that doesn't happen, I'm alright with it too.

I'll keep you guys updated as I can! Good luck in your adventures gentlemen!

twyatt

harleytom

Good luck and go gettum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

a_jabbo

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

Yoder409

Best of luck !!!!!!!

Give em heck !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

POk3s

To keep it short, I had an awesome morning! I will add the full story to the "stories and embellishments thread" when I have time to get it all typed up.

The cliff notes are, I walked into a pin I had on the map. Nothing at gobble time but heard and then spotted a gobbler across the canyon. Made a move on him and had him within 20 yards for 15 minutes, just over the rise. Spitting, drumming, gobbling. The total package. He just wouldn't break. I finally decided I should move up and got busted...of course. Idiot! Patience!!!!

I heard another bird or two but they were right on the public private line. I elected to head further into public instead of battling "property line birds". I struck this bird a couple hours layer, and while I tried to pinpoint him I saw him come through a clearing half strut RUNNING my way from 300 yards out. I dove next to some rocks and he was in my lap in less than a minute. At the shot he rolled All the way back down to the bottom. A good 150 yard tumble. I tracked feathers to find him!

Oh I should add, he doesn't score worth a darn. He's got typical 1/2" Merriam spurs and beard rot so
I didn't even take any pics to enter him.

twyatt

Heck yeah!!! Beautiful bird, congrats!!!

zsully

That's awesome!!!! Beautiful white tips on that bird!!

Happy

Congrats! A gobblers true value is measured by the man who hunted him.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

a_jabbo

Heck yeah, POK!!! Freakin awesome. Love those white tips. One of these days I'll get out west to chase 'em! Congrats.

Tom007

You nailed a beauty my friend. Congrats......
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Congrats on a beautiful Tom, and hate to say it ..I agree with Happy, you were able to walk into absolute beautiful public and find 2 different Toms to battle with, and then harvest a awesome Tom!  :z-winnersmiley:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

POk3s

Thank you guys. It was a great morning. That steep public land stuff is so fulfilling when it works out like that.

Not long after I killed my turkey and hiked him to the top of the hill, some other hunters showed up across the canyon. They were calling, crouching, etc but on a wide opened hillside. Regardless, I made myself seen and held up the turkey. I don't know how thrilled they were but I figured it was better than them hunting for a ghost! Hahaha.

Surely they heard me shoot but you just never know what peoples plans are?