OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crows and Blue Jays

Started by krm944, April 14, 2023, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

As a deer hunter, I have learned Blue Jays are my early warning system. They always squawk at deer.

I have just had an hour long encounter with 2 gobblers and some hens. I could pull them towards me, but not to me. They left and I made a loop around them to get ahead of them. The area they went into looks to be prime nesting habitat- field that's fallow for 5 years.

Crows appear to be set up above them watching for hens heading to the nest to steal eggs? Is this how crows raid nests??

Do you pay any attention to crows or blue jays when Turkey hunting???

Zobo

There was a thread that touched on this topic, specifically blue jays, not too long ago that you should check out. I think l mentioned back then how a flushing dove had alerted me to the presence of an approaching silent gobbler. So yes, definitely, careful listening, paying attention closely to nature as a whole ecosystem is very important.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Paulmyr

Quote from: krm944 on April 14, 2023, 08:31:39 AM
Do you pay any attention to crows or blue jays when Turkey hunting???

Yes, religiously to crows. Next time your in the woods and the turkeys are gobbling listen for crows, if they are around theres a good chance they'll be harassing the turkeys with cawing try to force gobbles from them.

If your extremely familiar with and area and know the turkeys habits, roost sites, loafing/assembly areas, and the like. listen closely on nice days when you feel the turkey should be gobbling and are not. If crows are around I would almost bet money they'll be checking these areas because they think turkeys should be gobbling as well. They'll show up to one of these spots, caw a few times. if they don't get a gobble they move to the next location and try. They'll keep trying, moving from spot to spot and not randomly. They'll hit places you heard turkeys gobbling in the past. If your familiar with an area you'll realize this if your paying attention.

I'm extremely attentive to crows when in a new area on quiet days. More often than not they'll tell me where the turkeys like to hang/ are hanging if I'm listening to them.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

In my parts, it is often a barking squirrel.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

I pay attention to all.   As mentioned above, squirrels are big tattle tells around here. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

For me as others have said it is squirrel chatter, I also watch the red wing blackbirds to see if they start dive bombing towards the ground, that is a sign there is something there they do not want to be there and it could be a turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."