Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

On the board!

Started by twyatt, April 10, 2023, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

1st day of my opening week of turkey season vacation was a success.  Not a whole lot to this story, I headed to a spot where some other guys in my lease said that they had heard a bird yesterday, and as I'm easing down the logging road in that direction, I hear a bird start hammering towards the end of the road where it opens up to a pond.  I can tell he's at the end somewhere around the pond, so I set up about 100 yards before the road ends and put the decoys out in the road.  The bird proceeds to gobble about 100 times, on his own, at crows, just non stop.  I do a little light calling on the wingbone and he answers back, I scratch the leaves, he answers back, but not getting any closer.  I'm guessing he's probably got hens and is strutting out by the pond since his gobbles aren't getting any closer, but then things go quiet for a few minutes, and the next gobble I hear is probably 60 yards.  Another minute or two and I hear footsteps, and then see him coming through the woods and not up the road like I had guessed he would.  He gets to where the road meets the woods and stops and starts putting.  Oh no!  I don't know if he saw me, or got right up on the decoys before he realized it and they spooked him, but he turns and starts walking away and putting, but keeps looking back at the decoys.  He walks off about 10 yards back into the woods, and then turns and starts heading right back to the decoys, pops out in the road, and goes into full strut 2' from the decoys, turns sideways, and sticks his head out, and I dropped him right there.   Man what a blast!  One of my PA partners in crime rolls in tonight.  He's up to bat next
Sorry, I'm not quite the photographer you guys are.

harleytom

Congrats! Looks like a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BennieGobbler

Awesome dude!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Yoder409

Congrats, man !!!!

Well done !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Way to go brother! Congrats, we are on a roll......
"Solo hunter"

Vintage

zsully

That's awesome man!!!!! Congrats on a great bird!!!

Mossyguy

Meleagris gallopavo

Well done Travis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

a_jabbo

I've already told you congrats, but why not say it one more time. Congratulations buddy

KHNC