Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Exciting hunt

Started by Mountainburd, April 10, 2023, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

It's been a good start to the season here in Virginia. I've worked a couple of birds the last couple days but did not seal the deal. The conditions are perfect with the exception of some really dry woods which are making for some really noisy walking conditions.

Fast forward to today. I started high on a ridge where I had heard a bird gobbling on Saturday. Another cold start to the day brought what I would have thought would have been perfect conditions, but I did not hear a bird on the roost. The woods were absolutely torn up with scratchings but they were just not in there this morning. My turkeys can be pretty nomadic.

Around 0830 I jumped to another spot close by and struck a bird right away. I got setup along a nice grass/ dirt road as he was within 150 yards when he answered. I could now tell there were two birds together and I got a little concerned they were jakes based on their gobbles. Sometimes they would sound full but sometimes jakeish. They were answering me every time and had closed some distance, so I shut up.

Soon after I catch movement and see a bird walking the road toward me. I see it's a hen. She had come from where they were gobbling. I'm thinking perfect, they'll be right behind her. Well she proceeds to come within 30 yards with no gobblers following up the rear. Just as I'm watching her feed in front of me, I hear spitting and drumming and two mature birds pop up over the rise 5 yards from me in full strut. Holy cow. They stay in the same spot for several minutes allowing me to stay calm and actually look over their spurs deciding which one to shoot. That was a first. I'm left handed and they were just over my weak side, just a few feet from being able to shoot. But no worries. I'm thinking they see the hen and they'll start walking toward her giving me a better shot (still close- 15 yard or so) but of course no. They turn around and start slowly walking back where they came from which would take them further over my weak side. Now or never.

Still at about 5-6 yards I quickly swing the gun slightly left and when I do so, I caught the barrel in the thicket branches which have managed to keep me concealed. As I do I think I'm on him, pow, I miss. As he getting ready to fly I get another round off and drop him on that shot. What a crazy hunt. 

And congrats to Billy Clark on his bird! He's not one for stories and fanfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainburd

Pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

JeffC

Congrats, shooting a bullet at a moving object 6yds away is tough, way to stay focused for follow up shot!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Deputy 14

RutnNStrutn

Nice job brother!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

That's a great hunt! WTG Congrats!  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

Will