News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cow fence 6, gobblers 0

Started by TaliskerStorm, April 07, 2023, 09:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaliskerStorm

Got one for y'all.

Long story short on 60 acres private planted pines in north florida with some cypress to the north. North side's got some open areas under the pines, south sides pretty grown. Roosted the turkeys but they (to the best of my knowledge) are all on the cow pasture to the west I can't hunt. They strut and peck around that field. I've called 6 gobblers over from either the middle or clear across the field but they cannot defeat the fence. They either strut 70 yards from the fence or run back and forth against it. Last couple weeks they were fired up but have gotten tight lipped since last Sunday.

Obviously I don't want to damage the fence or shoot across property that I don't own but I'm at a loss. Do I keep trying if they keep coming in until I find one that can figure out a fence? Should I get deeper in the woods where it opens up near the cypress? Or do I go to the public land near me where I have enough acreage to run and gun searching for a vocal bird?

Tnandy

I would be looking for a spot in the fence that they might cross under, like a possible creek, or hump. Some place that they might come on through. A decoy of a tom breeding a hen setup might be enough to jerk one over. Worth a try. I would set them up a little ways away from the fence but at least within eyeshot of the birds coming to the fence. I would hate to leave 6 toms! Good luck.

Paulmyr

Is there turkey sign in the area your allowed to hunt? If not it may be the case they don't use that area to begin with coupled with their tendency to hang up. Kind of a double whammy so to speak. Simply put, If your not seeing turkey sign it's a good bet the turkeys don't want to be there fence or not.

If you are seeing turkey sign than I wouldn't say it's impossible to call them through. You just the need the stars, planets, and sun to align properly coupled with your lucky rabbits foot and maybe a voodoo curse on them. Kidding aside, if the turkey use the area you hunt there's a chance to get them through, not a very good one but still a chance.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Flatsnbay

Just curious, how many wires are in the fence? I've been able to pull birds across a 3 wire fence with a hen and Jake decoy. When the landowner put a 4th wire to reinforce the fence it was like building a wall, no turkeys. Tnandy offered some great advice. I'd look for a spot that they could easily cross.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

TaliskerStorm

The fence claimed another victim today. They were roosting on my property above the fence by the pasture. Set up about 70 yards behind them on my side and did some very light calling as the sky was burning up. Gobbler of course gobbles as he does trying to get me to come to his roost. Ignored him and he flew off 25 minutes the other direction over the dreaded fence. Gobbled for 45 minutes so I walked back 50 or 60 yards away and lightly called as if I was walking away. He gobbles for another 45 minutes or so and eventually walked away.

To answer questions I have tried jake hen decoys but will certainly keep them in the rotation. The fence is sturdy, one barbwire on the top and about 3 ft of square style wire. Currently the spot i have (really the only spot thats not overgrown) has a small section where hens go under. Sometimes they fly over it. The hens will come over but the toms, even if they try, have yet to figure it out. They do feed on the property. Deer season the flocks roost near the cypress here and scratch around in the pines all day. Currently seen a hen feeding and there are scratchings.

Something new today though which gives hope. The north part on a different neighbors side had some gobbling that responded to me. Moved in closer and called near the border. It's where the oak flat borders our pines. Turkey spent an hour gobbling walked a half circled back and forth around me. Gps shows a small opening where he was probably strutting about 100 yards on the other property. Silent treatment didn't work so I relocated to another spot he could get to with a different call. He gobbled but was slowly walking off. I left him alone after waiting silently for about 45 minutes

If they have these strutting zones will they start branching out as hens go to nest?

Paulmyr

What you are trying to accomplish is a daunting task. There are members here that have had gobblers hang up on shadows from a tree in an open field or puddles of water less than and 1" deep. Denny Gulvas has story from when he was recording turkeys
where he set up his equipment next to a forest road. One of the cables went across the road to a mic on the other side. A gobbler hung up on the cable in the road and would not step over it. The gobbler proceeded to follow the cable to the mic and was able to get around it that way.

What's happening, I believe, in these situations is the minor obstacles are reinforcing what has been bred into that gobbler over 1000's years, to stay put and let the hens come to him.

Now compare these minor obstacles to the one your trying to pull him through. Not impossible but not very likely either.

There are members here that have pulled gobblers across rivers and over/through fences but that's a rare occasion.

If it were me, I'd keep that location for a plan b,c,d. I'd hunt elsewhere and come back when my other spots have failed and check on them. Most likely I'd listen to see if one is on my side of the fence before setting up to hunt. If I'm feeling really ambitious I might give it go if they are not. But that's just me.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

silvestris

Hog wire fence can really be a problem;  Barbed wire not necessarily so much.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

That kind of fencing, combined with turkeys that haven't got the brain-power to figure out how to get across, can be frustrating,...to put it mildly and without expletives.   ;D :D

Based on your tactics so far, I agree with the suggestion of putting a hen and jake (or gobbler) decoy on your side of the fence in a place where you think these gobblers would be most likely to see them, then try to call the gobblers within sight such that they see the decoys.  IF they are going to fly the fence, that is the thing that I think would make them do it. 

TaliskerStorm

Appreciate the info all. I'm going to work the northern side of my property a little more since I heard some gobbling up that way. No fence up there. But I will keep that spot as a back up plan and put out my Jake and Hen to  attempt drawing them over when all else fails.

Marc

First thing I would do, is ask the neighbors for permission.  Use the owners of the current ranch for a reference.  Sometimes permission on one property can lead to another, can lead to another.

When asking permission, I clean myself up, and do NOT wear hunting clothes...  I have young kids that often join me, and having a cute girl in the backseat of the truck happily waving to the land-owners can make it tough to say no...  If you do not have a cute child, maybe borrow one from a neighbors house. :toothy12:

I have seen birds fly a fence, a major road, rivers, etc...  I have also seen them hang on a shadow...  Couple years back, had a bird hang on fence posts, in which the actual fence had been removed...  He would not cross that imaginary border.

If/when you do get one to cross, it will likely be when the hens are on the nest, and that tom is desperate for lovin'....  Or...  If he is roosting close enough to the fence, to get him to fly down directly to your side.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TaliskerStorm

Got one today at 1245. Switched up the spots to go after other birds like suggested. Went to the north end of the property that butts up to an oak flat that I had been keeping an eye on and heard gobbling the prior week. Saw a gobbler there at 0900 with hens. They led him away. Went back to give it another shot after taking a break. Wasn't 5 minutes from setting up and hitting the call, getting a gobble, and pulling the trigger. No idea how far they were but they didnt sound very close. They must of booked it because they came sprinting in.

Thanks again for the help all

Paulmyr

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Lcmacd 58