turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with TSS pattern

Started by Laloom83, April 25, 2023, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laloom83

Help!  What am I doing wrong. I thought TSS was supposed to perform miracles!  This is custom Foxtrot Ammo company Annihilator 12 ga 3.5" 2.5 oz #8's at 60 yards. Out of my Remington 870 Supermag with Indian Creek .665.   I was shooting out of a led sled.  Am I using the wrong choke?  This is a horrible pattern.

60 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Biggest question, do you have an optic on the gun or are you shooting the bead? Pattern looks very low so you're not seeing majority of it. If you have an optic or adjustable sight you need to sight the gun in close shooting dove loads. Once centered there you'll be in the ballpark for your hunting load, and it's usually going to take two shells to center and confirm the load you plan to hunt. Use a large piece of cardboard at 40yds. Nothing on that cardboard but a point in the center to aim at. Shoot your hunting load. Draw a circle around the meat of that pattern. Draw a new point in the center of that pattern. Adjust sight from original point of aim to new spot in center of pattern. Use a new piece of cardboard and shoot again. Should be centered at that point and good to go or at least very, very close. The issues you seem to be facing are two fold: 1) you're shooting way too far (should never pattern at 60yds for turkeys); 2) your target is too small and too busy which is not allowing you to see the pattern so that you can adjust POA to POI. All the FoxTrot loads are nasty so I seriously doubt it's the load, especially given the amount of shot you're shooting. If you're not shooting an optic or an adjustable sight you may have some big issues with the gun, choke, load not shooting anywhere close to POA with bead.

Vintage

Looks like you missed the target. You need to shoot at ten yards first and then stretch it out to 40 yds. Sixty is a poke.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Upfold99

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 25, 2023, 07:00:34 PM
Biggest question, do you have an optic on the gun or are you shooting the bead? Pattern looks very low so you're not seeing majority of it. If you have an optic or adjustable sight you need to sight the gun in close shooting dove loads. Once centered there you'll be in the ballpark for your hunting load, and it's usually going to take two shells to center and confirm the load you plan to hunt. Use a large piece of cardboard at 40yds. Nothing on that cardboard but a point in the center to aim at. Shoot your hunting load. Draw a circle around the meat of that pattern. Draw a new point in the center of that pattern. Adjust sight from original point of aim to new spot in center of pattern. Use a new piece of cardboard and shoot again. Should be centered at that point and good to go or at least very, very close. The issues you seem to be facing are two fold: 1) you're shooting way too far (should never pattern at 60yds for turkeys); 2) your target is too small and too busy which is not allowing you to see the pattern so that you can adjust POA to POI. All the FoxTrot loads are nasty so I seriously doubt it's the load, especially given the amount of shot you're shooting. If you're not shooting an optic or an adjustable sight you may have some big issues with the gun, choke, load not shooting anywhere close to POA with bead.

Alot of good info here.  Your shot is way low.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

runngun

With the load and combination you are shooting,  you definitely need to get a bigger backstop.  So you can get the point of aim matching your point of impact, I promise you that there will be way more holes than you want to count!!!! Been there!ยก!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greenhead12

I would get a bigger backstop first. Looks like the pattern is low, so you can't see what the pattern is.
Second I would try 40 yards and see how it shoots. 60 yards is a poke and even know my gun and tss load would shoot that far, I keep my shots 50 yards and in. Home depot sells a roll of flooring paper works great for a backer. staple to a palette and you will have a nice stable backstop. Post a pattern at 40 yards, should be able to tell if choke and load will work.