turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips and tricks

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 24, 2023, 10:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

A little side note about getting in tune with what's going on around you in the Turkey woods. Back when I first started turkey hunting I took an extended trip to  northwest Ga at the beginning of my third season. Up until that point I had only managed to harvest one gobbler. I was intent on figuring things out. Needless to say it was a weird spring. I didn't hear a turkey gobble for almost 3 weeks. I was in my early 20's and had been hunting since around 7 years old wreaking havoc on the local squirrel and rabbit populations where I lived with a pellet gun which led to deer hunting by the time I was 13. I was good at sneaking around and being quiet and a very good deer hunter by the time I took this trip but wasn't having much luck getting close to or even hearing any gobblers.

About about 2 weeks into my trip I decided to take a break and headed to Nashville for a couple days to meet up with a friend who was in a band. The evening I arrived they had band practice and I was allowed to listen in. After 2 weeks of listening for clucks, purrs, twig snaps, anything that might indicate a turkey was near, when that drummer hit his snare drum it rattled my senses. My whole body would flinch. It almost felt like being electrocuted. I had to put on ear muffs if I was going to stick around. After about 4 songs with the muffs on, my senses became acclimated to the loud music and I could take them off. I could still feel that snare drum but it was manageable.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 28, 2023, 11:36:53 PM
A little side note about getting in tune with what's going on around you in the Turkey woods. Back when I first started turkey hunting I took an extended trip to  northwest Ga at the beginning of my third season. Up until that point I had only managed to harvest one gobbler. I was intent on figuring things out. Needless to say it was a weird spring. I didn't hear a turkey gobble for almost 3 weeks. I was in my early 20's and had been hunting since around 7 years old wreaking havoc on the local squirrel and rabbit populations where I lived with a pellet gun which led to deer hunting by the time I was 13. I was good at sneaking around and being quiet and a very good deer hunter by the time I took this trip but wasn't having much luck getting close to or even hearing any gobblers.

About about 2 weeks into my trip I decided to take a break and headed to Nashville for a couple days to meet up with a friend who was in a band. The evening I arrived they had band practice and I was allowed to listen in. After 2 weeks of listening for clucks, purrs, twig snaps, anything that might indicate a turkey was near, when that drummer hit his snare drum it rattled my senses. My whole body would flinch. It almost felt like being electrocuted. I had to put on ear muffs if I was going to stick around. After about 4 songs with the muffs on, my senses became acclimated to the loud music and I could take them off. I could still feel that snare drum but it was manageable.

Multiple scientific studies have shown that just spending even an hour in nature can positively affect brain activity. After a few days your brain function actually changes and you operate on more alpha waves versus beta waves and natural dopamine also increases. This can also be accomplished with meditation. It's no wonder your perception of something like a drum was different or averse after an extended time in the woods.

I think now the biggest inhibitor to allowing people to actually relax and reset in the woods is our phones. It's hard to truly immerse yourself in the woods when checking a phone. I hate my phone but i also have to have it for work etc... so there's that.