Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What don't you like

Started by FullChoke, April 04, 2023, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Since we are all experienced turkey hunters and have been around the block a few times, what have you found that you do NOT like about turkey hunting?

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

RiverRun

Dry 90 degree weather on afternoon hunts with not a gobble to be heard or seen. However, I know those hot afternoon hunts can be rewarding, they have kicked my tail in recent years.

3seasons

My job, it keeps me out of the woods more than anything.
Hot and humid mornings\days(I'll take a cool crisp morning anyday)
Mosquitos, ticks and gnats. Permethrin and a thermacell takes care of most of that.
Lock jawed birds.

reflexl

I don't like it when turkey poop on my boots. Very naughty like birds.

Sir-diealot

That I can't ground hunt anymore.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

FullChoke

I'll tell you a few things that I don't much care for.

I don't like seeing photographs of dead gobblers with something like a shotgun shell, or worse yet, a cigarette stuck in their mouth. Ha ha ha.

I do not like that the price of some "premium" diaphragm mouth calls have climbed to over $15 a piece. They are still made of aluminum, latex and tape in the same design that they have been using for decades, right?

I do not like that there are some who measure a successful season in terms of numbers and not by the sheer joy of turkey hunting experiences whether one is taken or not. Love hunting the greatest gamebird in his nation.

I realize that my dislikes are basically human in nature and not with the birds.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

zelmo1

My biggest gripe about turkey hunting is that I dont get to hunt 250 plus days a year. Work, money and those damned seasons cramp me up. :funnyturkey: Z

3seasons

Quote from: FullChoke on April 04, 2023, 11:59:36 PM
I'll tell you a few things that I don't much care for.

I don't like seeing photographs of dead gobblers with something like a shotgun shell, or worse yet, a cigarette stuck in their mouth. Ha ha ha.

I do not like that the price of some "premium" diaphragm mouth calls have climbed to over $15 a piece. They are still made of aluminum, latex and tape in the same design that they have been using for decades, right?

I do not like that there are some who measure a successful season in terms of numbers and not by the sheer joy of turkey hunting experiences whether one is taken or not. Love hunting the greatest gamebird in his nation.

I realize that my dislikes are basically human in nature and not with the birds.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Ohhhh I don't even want to get started on that part of it.

TKE921

Adults hunting in youth season

Overly curious does and fawns

Days with rain, right until time to be out of the woods, and then beautiful sunshine

Wind out of the north

3" of snow during the third week of WV season

Idiots letting their packs of bear hounds run during turkey season

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tom007

I despise anything that raids Turkey nests, and eats turkeys!!!
"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

Windy days

Days with no gobbling

Finding someone's truck parked at 5:00 AM where I have sole permission to hunt

Days I can't hunt

Taking adults that don't know how to be still turkey hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

xarcher

The day I run out of tags.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

cannonball

Not being able to sleep the night before a hunt because I'm so fired up about going.

Gobbler428

Hens that go running to a gobbler I'm working.