Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Muggy Hot Alabama Morning

Started by harleytom, April 04, 2023, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Fourth day of the season in NW Bama and we've seen everything from tornados to light frost so far. Opening morning and the one after I got close to this bird but he just would not commit. Lots of other birds around him and probably many hens as well. Despite daylight temps around 70 and humidity in the 70+% mark I decide to give him another go this morning. Got in position above the creek he had been roosted on well before daylight and waited for dawn. As luck would have it he was the only one gobbling this morning though he was about 300 yards further down the creek on neighbors property. I decided to just go for it and began to cut and purr aggressively. He answered and we went back and forth until I could tell he was moving my direction. I then decided to use a turkey hunters best friend, silence. Several minutes later I saw him top the hill about 75 yards away, and he gobbled to see where that horny hen might be. I clucked lightly and he gobbled right back. I then went quiet again. Minutes passed and I decided to cluck again, he gobbled almost in the same spot still, to my right and out of sight. Silence became my game again and 5 minutes (or was it hours?) later I caught movement to my left as he stepped into the old logging road I had sat up just off of. His back was to me looking down the road and I shifted and got my gun up, as he gobbled again I un-chivalrously shot him in the back of the head. All over by 7am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twyatt

Man you're on a roll!!!  Congrats again!!!!

Vintage

Mossyguy

It was definitely muggy this morning...glad it worked out for you!

Yoder409

HECK, yeah !!!!!!!!!    :you_rock:

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

a_jabbo

Atta boy, Harley!!! Great bird. Congrats. And from the sounds of it, what an enjoyable hunt!

zsully

Nice Harley!!!!!! Freaking awesome bird and story! Congrats!

Tom007

Way to go brother....great bird....
"Solo hunter"

POk3s

KHNC