Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Factory Full

Started by TKE921, April 04, 2023, 09:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKE921

Anyone tried shooting Apex #9 through the factory full choke of their gun?  I know all guns are different but was really wondering if they shot basically to POA as other shells in the gun.  I have never actually shot a turkey shell through a factory choke.

3seasons

I've shot a few with the factory full choke in them and they are deadly at 40yds.   As far as hitting the same as other shells go, out to 30yds they are pretty solid.  I shoot birdshot up close(6yds) I aim at a dot and I want my pattern to shoot the bottom of the dot out. That will put you real close if not dead on at 40 for shooting your more expensive turkey loads. 

FullChoke

I have shot TSS through several different choke tubes. They are all deadly, but the Remington Super Full TSS choke gives me a good even lethal hunting pattern better than the others. As i remember the 10" pellet count was right at 200.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

TKE921

Thank you sirs.  I just got a new A400 20ga to be my "everything but turkey" gun and wondered if I could get away with using the factory choke, TSS, and just the bead.  I felt pretty sure an Indian Creek or other turkey specific choke would drastically change the POI.

3seasons

Only way to know for sure is to try it.  It won't be a paper puncher that most people get caught up in but should be a great hunting pattern that will be deadly.

zelmo1

More to the choke question, not APEX ammo. I tried the factory full or turkey choke that came with all my newer guns. All shot well enough for me to take hunting. I have 2 SA-28 that we shoot most of the time.I use the IC .520 and the wife shoots the IC .525. I have a Stoeger 3020 that loves the Sumtoy .562 and a Stoeger 3000 that loves the IC .665. They all shoot fabulous. I shoot hand loaded TSS #9's out of the SA-28's and heavyweight #7's out of the other 2. The 15g/c3 ones. The factory chokes were adequate. But I like a very tight even pattern and work till I get the best for the setup I am using. I shot a Patternmaster .665 Code Black turkey choke in my Browning Gold 12 gauge and it was devastating. So my opinion is that its all what you want it to do and get your setup there. That got long winded, lol. I am passionate about my patterns, lol. If you are loading your own, I found that for all applications that 1200 fps loads give me the best patterns consistently. Z

3seasons

Very true point Zelmo1  I set up A LOT of turkey guns for folks and that's exactly what I ask them, "What pattern are you wanting" everyone is looking for something a little different. Takes a lot of chokes and shells to figure out what each gun likes.  You can have the exact same set up and they will shoot the same choke way different. 

The most surprised I've been lately was the other day a guy dropped off his gun with a variety of shells, federal tss , apex, and some lead shot.  I shot the federal through his full choke and I was more that impressed, usually federal is horrible, guess I've been over restricting it. 

zelmo1

My #9 TSS handloads like to be choked, lol. IC .520 in my 28. THe #7's shot way better out of the IC .525. 5 thousandths made a huge difference on those 2 loads. It takes more $$ to properly pattern and get the best ammo/choke recipe than most mid range guns. But in my opinion it is the most important part of my hunt preperation. If you dont know your guns capabilities and where it is shooting, WTF are you doing in the woods with it.  :z-twocents: Z

TKE921

WTF I was doing was just asking for some general info from people who may have known, as I have never fired a single turkey shell through a factory full choke.  I was curious as to what I could reasonably expect....ie was it even worth my time. 

FYI I tote an Affinity with a FF3 and an IC570 to the woods.