Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Reaping what you didn't sow

Started by FullChoke, April 03, 2023, 09:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

The technique of "reaping" gobblers drawing them into range while holding and moving a gobbler decoy, has always drawn a lot of criticism.

How do you feel about this practice and why?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

I don't do it and wouldn't consider doing it. I don't have an issue with someone else doing it as long as it's legal in the area they are hunting. My thoughts are if anyone wants to criticize someone, it needs to be directed to those that make the rules, not those that follow the rules. So if you don't like people hunting in this manner, petition your local wildlife resources agency. I will add that holding a moving Jake/Tom decoy could result in a tragic hunting accident especially on public land.

silvestris

As Mammy said in "Gone With the Wind, "It ain't fitting."
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

As a photographer I would be willing to do it to get a good picture but not as a hunter no. The videos I have seen simply disgust me in how close they are able to get, it really can't even be called hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TKE921

That is how you get dead in WV.  We have plenty of people getting shot hunting "normally".

zelmo1

Not my thing, but if its legal where you are, go with God. My reason being safety. I trust me, everyone else is up in the air. I got shot in the face at about 75 yards while pheasant hunting and can attest to how scary it is. No bueno.  :z-twocents: Z

Gobbler428

I think it's unethical, unsportsmanlike and dangerous.

Tom007

I think we got our answer from the General Forum Post outlying the recent death tragedy involving reaping......it brings it all full circle right in front of our eyes. Prayers to those involved for sure.....
"Solo hunter"