Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

VA Youth Day Success

Started by twyatt, April 02, 2023, 08:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyatt

I joined a new lease this year, and for the past few weeks have been scouting hard and running a bunch of cell cams trying to see if I could locate any turkeys on this new place.  I've gotten some pictures here and there of some birds, but the only place with any regularity was a logging road running alongside of a cutover and big pine stand.  I had 2 cameras on this stretch of road, and started getting somewhat regular pictures of a gobbler walking and strutting on one of the cameras.   I set up a blind about a week ago, and had high hopes for the youth opener, and my daughter was super excited.    As I'm watching the weather as it gets closer and closer I see that Saturday is supposed to be 20mph winds, and rain starting around 8am.  I told my daughter I thought we had a slim chance, and might get lucky before the rain set in, but really in my mind I thought Saturday was going to be a huge mess and that Sunday we would have a much better chance. 
We get set up and settled in the blind and the wind is already whipping.  I couple times I grabbed the side of the blind thinking we were about to lift off and fly away.   
As the sun starts to come up, I hit a few soft calls on the wingbone call - the call that was actually made for my daughter with the wing bones from her first turkey last season.   We don't hear anything at all, and I'm doubting that any turkey can hear me either with the wind blowing so hard.  About 15 minutes later and a little break in the wind, I hit the wingbone as loud as I possibly can, yelping and cutting.  Still no response, but this time I'm certain a turkey somewhere had to have heard it.   A few minutes go by, and at about the same time, we both see this turkey tip toeing right in the road towards the decoys in full strut.   I already had my daughter trained to keep her gun pointed towards the decoys, so it didn't take much for her to get the dot on him, and I told her that once she had the dot on his neck, go ahead and shoot, and I'm not sure I even finished getting my sentence out and BOOM.  She drops him as he's nose to nose with the jake decoy.   High fives and hugs ensue, and she's now got her 2nd turkey ever, and we make it back to the truck and get packed up with about 2 seconds to spare before the rain begins.   I'm not sure who was more excited, or who was shaking more at the time, but it was an absolute blast.   And to call that turkey in with a call made from her last turkey, was pretty neat.  We spent the hour ride home with her making me call just about everyone in my contact list and telling them the story.   

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!    :z-winnersmiley:

Congrats to you BOTH !!!!!!!

Get that lady registered on OG Forums so we can draft her next year !!!!!! :toothy9: :toothy9:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

Congrats to the young lady! And nice touch on the facepaint. I like the way she thinks.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

Awesome story, Congrats to the young huntress, way to get it done dad!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

twyatt

Quote from: Happy on April 02, 2023, 10:39:45 AM
Congrats to the young lady! And nice touch on the facepaint. I like the way she thinks.

I think she must have learned that from our fellow teammate ZSully the last time he visited, because I've never painted my face, but ever since seeing him do it, she HAS to do it, and refuses a facemask, LOL.

Also, thank you to everyone for the kind words. 

Tom007

Fannnntastic. Great job. The smile says it all......
"Solo hunter"

POk3s

zsully

Quote from: twyatt on April 02, 2023, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: Happy on April 02, 2023, 10:39:45 AM

I think she must have learned that from our fellow teammate ZSully the last time he visited, because I've never painted my face, but ever since seeing him do it, she HAS to do it, and refuses a facemask, LOL.

Also, thank you to everyone for the kind words.

She is wise beyond her years and her face paint game is strong! I've always hated messing around with a face mask. Paint is just so much easier. Congrats on a great 2nd bird, and a fantastic story!

Delmar ODonnell

This is so awesome. Congratulations to you both!!!

a_jabbo

I enjoyed reading as much as I did hearing it over the phone!!!

Be ready for some more face paint action when I come into town!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!

Meleagris gallopavo

Very nice!  I get pumped when I'm with a kid and they kill a turkey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.