Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SC Lowcountry April Fools gobbler!!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 01, 2023, 03:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Got permission yesterday to access a new piece of land to turkey hunt this trip. My hunting partner and I drove the golf cart in before daybreak. We got to where the trail ended, and I owl called. Immediately 2 gobblers fired off 100 yards from us back in the pine rows. Then 2 other gobblers fired off in either direction. We worked our way down a 5th row and quickly set up about 10 yards apart.
It was getting near fly down time, and hens fired up, which the gobblers loved. I called on my diaphragm and the gobblers hammered back their approval. We heard multiple birds fly down. The gobblers hammered again and were headed our way.
Then a big gobbler stepped out at 20 yards, walking to my right and he started putting. Hens were yelping and clucking, and the other gobblers were still hammering.
I caught movement 40 yards to my right as the big gobbler crossed through the pine row we were on. I quickly got my gun up and pointed in that direction. Next a hen came out, followed by the second gobbler. He stepped into a low spot in the pine row, and looked around. There was a small maple with a V in it. His head and neck were above the V. I put the green dot on his neck, and let the TSS fly. He went down, a hen flew and another hen ran across the pine row. The first gobbler hammered in excitement.
I eased my gun to my lap, and called, hoping to give my friend a chance. The hen responded and the gobbler hammered in excitement. This went on for a half hour with the gobbler hammering close by but out of sight. I caught a glimpse of him 2 times in the pines. The hen that flew up finally flew back down to the other turkeys. Then they all walked away.
An exciting hunt on the first time we set foot on the property.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

JeffC

Congrats on a real nice Tom. Great way to start off your season.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Mountainburd

Nice work Rut! That hunt sounds almost too good to be true. 

WildSpur

Way to go!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Happy

Congrats rut! Glad you had some action!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TrackeySauresRex

WOOHooooo WTG Coach! Congrats, We rolling now  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

Congrats Rut!  Sometimes hunts go like that. Marching up and down mountains unsuccessfully makes this type more memorable. ????

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Vintage

Deputy 14

suburbhunter

Thebody

Nice job, buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny