OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Loud pot call  (Read 1266 times)

Offline wdog

Loud pot call
« on: March 28, 2023, 10:46:11 PM »
Looking to add a pot call to my pack. I want something loud, thinking a Crystal pot. Open to suggestions, I just want it loud. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Loud pot call
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 10:48:08 PM »
Titanium is about the loudest I have heard as far as pots go. Mine is from John Sinclair, Copper from Michael Yingling is another good choice and he is here as is Aluminum.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:05:47 AM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 10:55:58 PM »
I’ve got an Obsession Aluminum over glass that will scream.

I’ve also got a Lynch slate over Crystal that is surprisingly loud too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 11:02:36 PM »
Seminole Custom Calls, Ben Gentry makes a great Titanium!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 01:11:22 AM »
Two of the loudest pot calls I own are a vintage Wayne Carlson Calls "Copper Pot" and a Lohman "Thunderdome" crystal.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 07:12:01 AM »
Aluminum or Titanium will get out there.  I have a DD blasted Aluminum that will cut through anything but will play soft as well.

Offline caneman

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
I've got a redwood burl pot call double-sided that I made with titanium on top that can scream and you can flip it over and purr with the red slate.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:27:13 PM by caneman »

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 09:57:55 AM »
Just received a crystal / wafer in a canary pot  very loud
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »
Don't over think loud call playing... I agree you do need a call capable of cutting the wind on those windy days...  Ceramic or Acrylic over carbon fiber are a couple of good ones, pick out what will work best in the conditions of the area your hunting..  weather, cold or humid days play havoc on some of these slick surface pot calls ... so in my opinion the 2 i listed will work best in these conditions i mention.  Pick out a ceramic or Acrylic surface ... Lon Trice , Buster - larry Halford, Jim Shelley makes a good ceramic ...search the forum, because this has been discussed several times in the past with some other good builders of these type surfaces ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 10:05:56 AM »
Don't over think loud call playing... I agree you do need a call capable of cutting the wind on those windy days...  Ceramic or Acrylic over carbon fiber are a couple of good ones, pick out what will work best in the conditions of the area your hunting..  weather, cold or humid days play havoc on some of these slick surface pot calls ... so in my opinion the 2 i listed will work best in these conditions i mention.  Pick out a ceramic or Acrylic surface ... Lon Trice , Buster - larry Halford, Jim Shelley makes a good ceramic ...search the forum, because this has been discussed several times in the past with some other good builders of these type surfaces ...
Greg is right in that loud is not always the best, the one area I hunt is near a thruway and loud is the only choice but soft is often better from what I have seen. I had some in close to me last year, within a few feet of me and I was shocked just how softly they called. Changed my opinion on how to call in many cases.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline OsceolaDreams

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 01:23:26 PM »
Buster Acrylic Crystal over Carbon Fiber with a JLH Carbon Stricker is an absolute screamer

Offline PEte_A

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 02:03:21 PM »
My Halloran CM can scream, but also sounds incredible very quiet. I’ve been through a pile of calls in the years since I got it, and it’s still my favourite

Offline G-dub

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »
Crystal Mistress, Yingling Copper and Lights Out Stainless.  Different sounds but all have the ability to cut through wind or carry a long way. Easily toned down and played soft as well.