turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weather and how it affects behavior yours and the turkeys

Started by krm944, March 24, 2023, 01:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

As a deer hunter, I am well versed in hunting before the cold front moves in. I know that bird prefer the open areas during/after wet weather.
I am prepping a couple areas for my blind during wet weather.
How does weather affect where and how you hunt?

ScottTaulbee

It doesn't affect me much. If it's snow, cold, or a light drizzle I'll hunt the same places I would normally, if it's a heavy downpour I'll hunt more open areas such as clear cuts or fields. I've killed them in all weather. Turkeys have to be out there regardless so I believe if you want to kill one then you should be too. There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to get the birds gobbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

Good advice .... turkeys have to live... eat... sleep in the weather ..... there moods are different under different weather conditions

Zobo

I don't hunt the rain anymore, but as soon as it clears I'm right out the door.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Marc

I do not mind colder weather (which is not too common in California), but I dislike hunting in the rain...

That being said, I hunt every day I can get out...  If I have one day to hunt on the weekend (due to family obligations), and it is raining on one day, I will go the other.  If I can hunt both, I will.

On rainy days, I look for open areas next to cover.  I do not have a blind, so I love that lone tree in a meadow.  I have used a camouflage umbrella with great success.  I might roam about a bit, but I tend to cover a lot LESS ground on a rainy day, and sit tight on areas (I feel) will be more productive.  Comfortable clothing, with comfortable seating.

I really enjoy friction calls, but on rainy days, friction calls are all in plastic bags (if I even take them), and I tend to use mouth calls more.

I pack garbage bags as well...  I generally sit on one (as I do not have a blind).  Good rain gear (I wear my Sitka duck hunting coat), and waterproof pants.  Extra change of clothes in the truck.  I also tend to layer more.

I find that birds are less vocal in the rain...  But if I get one to gobble, I feel I have a decent chance at him...  I will move on a bird that is gobbling but not moving in the rain.

I look at the weather report, and am less likely to hunt first light if that is when the heaviest rain is...  A break in the rain can be VERY productive.  I am far more likely to hunt an afternoon if the forecast calls for less rain than the morning.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ChesterCopperpot

I don't get to travel much. I hunt two states with seasons that coincide so that means about one month of hunting per year. I won't miss a day. Too short a season to let weather affect what I love to do. As far as the birds, like most will say when it's raining I'll try to push close to field edge and larger openings. I've never noticed the cold to shut them down at all. In fact some of the best gobbling I've ever heard has been on cold snap high pressure mornings. Seems to be some correlation between clearing fronts and gobbling as well. If it's three or four days of crummy low pressure, low cloud ceiling mornings and then it breaks to bluebird it seems to really get them hammering. About the only weather I dislike hunting is high wind. Seem to move to the openings during this as well, but it's just a hard hunt most the time. Like others have said they're out there regardless and they've got just as limited a time span to get done what they're trying to get done as we do in hunting them. Weather ain't going to stop that, but it sure affects where they'll be and whether or not they'll be vocal.

Brillo

Yesterday in Michigan I was reminded that I hate hunting anything in driving sleet and 33 degrees.  I don't know what the turkeys are doing in those conditions but I am not seeing any even today at 40 degrees and diminishing wind.  Can't imagine them doing much that does not involve laying low.  Season opens here Saturday and weather looks to be ugly again.  Ugh.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 27, 2023, 07:02:46 AM
I don't get to travel much. I hunt two states with seasons that coincide so that means about one month of hunting per year. I won't miss a day. Too short a season to let weather affect what I love to do. As far as the birds, like most will say when it's raining I'll try to push close to field edge and larger openings. I've never noticed the cold to shut them down at all. In fact some of the best gobbling I've ever heard has been on cold snap high pressure mornings. Seems to be some correlation between clearing fronts and gobbling as well. If it's three or four days of crummy low pressure, low cloud ceiling mornings and then it breaks to bluebird it seems to really get them hammering. About the only weather I dislike hunting is high wind. Seem to move to the openings during this as well, but it's just a hard hunt most the time. Like others have said they're out there regardless and they've got just as limited a time span to get done what they're trying to get done as we do in hunting them. Weather ain't going to stop that, but it sure affects where they'll be and whether or not they'll be vocal.

+1 somedays it just doesnt cli k
I hunt in illinois and only get to hunt 5 to 7 days per season so I hunt rain .....wind ...  it doesn't matter

Paulmyr

Quote from: Brillo on April 18, 2023, 08:37:01 PM
Yesterday in Michigan I was reminded that I hate hunting anything in driving sleet and 33 degrees.  I don't know what the turkeys are doing in those conditions but I am not seeing any even today at 40 degrees and diminishing wind.  Can't imagine them doing much that does not involve laying low.  Season opens here Saturday and weather looks to be ugly again.  Ugh.

My buddy just shot one here in MN after weekend snow storms and high winds. The ground was covered with snow when he sent the pics. Not so windy today but 25 degrees this morn.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Mossyguy

The only kind of weather that affects me going is rain and high winds. If it's raining I normally don't go because wet turkeys don't appeal to me.

krm944

I am learning/observing tons this season as I become a more serious Turkey hunter.

This weekend I had the worst day of the season. It was foggy and overcast, mid 50s. The day before I was on 5 separate birds and put a bird to bed on the roost. I have been very conservative in this area so far and have amazing gobbling activity.

The rain and fog had the woods DEAD quiet. I ended up getting to within 75 yards of my roosted bird. He soft gobbled twice on the roost, pitched down within sight but was never seen or heard again.

Historically I was hearing gobbles at 6 am. It was 6:30 this morning. Usually they are on the ground by 6:15 or so. This guy pitched down at 7:15.

Brillo

Quote from: krm944 on April 19, 2023, 06:00:37 AM
I am learning/observing tons this season as I become a more serious Turkey hunter.

This weekend I had the worst day of the season. It was foggy and overcast, mid 50s. The day before I was on 5 separate birds and put a bird to bed on the roost. I have been very conservative in this area so far and have amazing gobbling activity.

The rain and fog had the woods DEAD quiet. I ended up getting to within 75 yards of my roosted bird. He soft gobbled twice on the roost, pitched down within sight but was never seen or heard again.

Historically I was hearing gobbles at 6 am. It was 6:30 this morning. Usually they are on the ground by 6:15 or so. This guy pitched down at 7:15.
That is so fun.  Sounds like you did a ton of work and got rewarded by being right in the wheelhouse.  Love it.

Lcmacd 58

If you pay attention you will learn something on each hunt .... bad weather or good weather

davisd9

I prefer "blue bird days" but will hunt about anything if necessary. I hate wind more than anything though.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

I hate the strong winds, more than light rain etc... but if it's pouring rain, i will wait until it's better conditions...