OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Compact 12?  (Read 597 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Compact 12?
« on: March 23, 2023, 10:34:13 PM »
In the market for a next 12 ga before next season and want something auto and compact. What are the options out there for compact auto’s that are lightweight.

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Re: Compact 12?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 11:32:39 PM »
M2 21 inch barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:21 AM »
Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey

Available in 18.5" and 24" barrel options. Factory Greenleaf camo.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 10:24:39 AM »
X2 on any of the Short barreled Benelli Turkey models. All very lightweight. Stay away from a 3.5 inch Auto models if you want a more compact feel. The longer action to accommodate the 3.5 inch shells turns even a shorter barrel model into a longer, less compact gun. Stick with 3 inch for compact maneuverability. Good luck…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
Beretta makes a 1301 tactical style that would make a great turkey gun. Comes with ghost ring sights
optic rail, 18.5 barrel, and the gen 2 has the screw in chokes in mobil I think. They are supposed to weigh in the 6 lbs. range. I watched some reviews on them when I was deciding on a new gun and thought it would make a perfect turkey gun. I ultimately went with a Winchester sx4 3.5 because I wanted a little more versatile gun I could also use for a waterfowling backup gun, but as a dedicated turkey gun, the beretta hits all the features that would be wanted. I think you can get them in FDE cerakote, and I think some came in green and possibly a camo version this year. Just make sure it is the one with choke tubes, I guess they have one that is plain cylinder bore. Don't want that one lol!

Offline Timmer

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »
M2 21 inch barrel

X2 on any of the Short barreled Benelli Turkey models. All very lightweight. Stay away from a 3.5 inch Auto models if you want a more compact feel. The longer action to accommodate the 3.5 inch shells turns even a shorter barrel model into a longer, less compact gun. Stick with 3 inch for compact maneuverability. Good luck…..

On Benelli's website the shortest M2 is a 24" barrel.  Are you suggesting a modification or is there some model that isn't on their site?  Just based on what I am able to find, the M2's are the longest guns among other turkey guns from Mossberg, Franchi, Winchester, Weatherby, etc and non turkey specific semi's from those same companies as well as Berretta and Browning.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 04:07:14 PM by Timmer »
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 05:31:54 PM »
21” field barrels are available for the m2. Don’t know if they currently make them, but they did. In my never ending quest for the perfect turkey gun, I bought an m2 tactical. Regular stock, 18” barrel with ghost ring sights. Pulled the 18” barrel and ghost ring, hunted down the 21” field barrel, and bought a steady grip for it. Topped it with rail and an aimpoint, and it was turkey gun nirvana.  I also picked up a compact comfortec stock for it, but never used it. Then I discovered loading my own tss shells, and moved to the 20ga. The 12ga hasn’t left the safe since.