OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cluck n Purr diaphragm  (Read 1129 times)

Offline CG1997

Cluck n Purr diaphragm
« on: March 23, 2023, 09:41:24 PM »
I realize this is a pretty opinionated subject but I'm curious what y'all's favorite cluck n Purr mouth call is? What call helped you get the hang of it the easiest? 've been practicing trying to get the purr down with a couple of woodhaven 3 reeds but they seem to take a bit too much air for me to get a very natural purr out of. They're also a year old and weren't really taken care of properly so I'm not sure if that's part of it too lol. Would going to a 2 reed call help ease the process of learning? I feel like I'm very close to getting the hang of it using my throat/fluttef but I get a higher pitch purr and too much of a "latex" sound...if that makes sense.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Re: Cluck n Purr diaphragm
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
Once you get it, you can cluck and purr (with your throat) on any of them.
Try doing a fighting (loud) purr first. It's much easier.....then soften it down by using less and less air.

Online hunter85

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
I have found that you can do it on any of them, you just have to have the call broke-in. New calls for me are hard to purr on no matter what. But my favorite call to purr on is the woodhaven toxic orange. It is a 2.5 reed ghost cut that to me seems like it has thin reeds. Also I may get blasted but I am liking the Dave Owens calls that my wife bought me last year. All of them blow easy and didn’t take no time to break-in.

Offline hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 11:03:26 AM »
Try doing a fighting (loud) purr first. It's much easier.....then soften it down by using less and less air.

Agreed.

I started with throat-like gargling but then switched to fluttering my tongue to rock the purr.

Also, I have seen many who have the call upside down (nipple on the frame should be down) or who don't bend (slightly) the call to fit their mouth.

Shoot'em in the Face!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 04:39:07 PM »

I agree...  But probably easier to learn on a call that is not too stiff with less reeds...  2-reed will probably be easier to learn on than a 4-reed, just to get that air vibration going...

Me...  I have to move the call back (towards my throat away from my lips) to trill my tongue properly and get that purr...  Some can do it with their throat (I cannot), and some do it with their lips (which I have never heard sound great).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 10:38:33 AM »
Once you learn it, you can purr on any mouth call, but some do it better than others. I've been using Gooserbat's PLS (public land special) it's a 2 Reed with side cuts and it will do the soft close stuff but still has some volume, clucks are clear and sweet with just hint of rasp. Purring for me on that call is very unforced and natural feeling.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 01:40:18 PM »
Easiest to start with for me was the Cane Creek Lost Poult. Then once I got it dialed in it was a lot easier on the stiffer multiple reed calls.
Phil 4:13

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »
Easiest to start with for me was the Cane Creek Lost Poult. Then once I got it dialed in it was a lot easier on the stiffer multiple reed calls.
Yes.  It is a Ghost cut...  Thinking about it, a ghost cut is probably the easiest to learn to pur on.  Don't think/know that the branding matters.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 07:51:44 PM »
Agreed Marc. The Cane Creek is just my goto brand as they are very affordable. Actually started messing with the Ghost Ninja Woodhaven as I tend to put to much air through the thinner reed calls out of habit. It is ok but I still like the Lost Poult a little better.
Phil 4:13

Offline CG1997

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 02:15:07 PM »
Gooserbats ICE has been the best for me so far