Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Underutilized Hen Sound By The Hunter In The Spring?

Started by mountainhunter1, March 23, 2023, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathfoot

Quote from: reflexl on March 23, 2023, 10:50:47 AM
I don't even know what to call it but I had a hen going crazy every time I touched my call a few years ago and she actually called up two long beards. I practiced on a glass pot call till I could mimick the call. She started off with 6 or 7 fast excited clucks and rolled right into a series of 4 yelps. After seeing what she did and finally duplicating the call I have killed several birds that hung up on me by using it. Truthfully it is a bit more aggressive than I normally like but since it isn't an every situation call that's OK.

I know there has been a huge joke made out of it since I posted it on Facebook years ago but I have killed several birds by opening a Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie and crumbling up the wrapper. It doesn't work every time but it certainly has worked some of the time.

Of course scratching in the leaves is usually a good closer.

This call. It's my go to. I'm more of an aggressive caller than most tho. I play this call as loud as I can. Almost break my box call doing it. Lol. Many a gobbler have died due to this call.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 23, 2023, 03:46:55 PM
The single cluck is normally used by turkeys as a greeting/hello/are you a turkey call. You here it often after you get done with a series of calls. The turkey comes over and announces it's presence with just a single cluck. Your response should be a single cluck.

I should add, if your the one showing up to the scene, your 1st call should be a single cluck.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

tal

Old Gobbler

I try not to overthink turkey hunting

I do what the hens do ... Some will yelp once or twice ...if that then they cluck and purr etc.... No stylized calling allowed for me

Cutting , fighting rattle and all that I'll do shamelessly...I avoid over yelping on pressured birds
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gooserbat

Probably a cluck but I think a soft purr is deadly.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mcw3734

Definitely the Kee Kee (lost call). Under certain scenarios, I've found it to be money.

Also agree with the sentiment about silence.

runngun

Hard to explain but mine is a half kee, breaking into a one note yelp. I have heard several hens do it in the woods. Also recently saw a YouTube video of a hen doing the exact same thing. I Wish I could find it again and I would post it.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

crow

Hello Silence my old friend,
I'll never ever yelp again,
Because a Gobbler softly creeping,
Came in strutting while I was sleeping,
And the cutting that was implanted in my brain,
Still remains,
Within the sound of leaf scratching.

VaBoy

Screaming Hen and silent Gobble whistle. Got a bunch of them whistles if any one is interested ;D

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Marc

Quiet/relaxed clucks/chirps.

I have all too frequently been amazed at how far away a bird will respond to a quiet chirp that I can barely hear when I am making it.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I think the ability of them to hear leaf scratching at a distance is underrated.  I am a little hard of hearing and I could clearly hear the hen (and later the gobbler) scratching leaves at a measured 35 yards.  I figure a turkey can hear at least twice as good as me.

The gobbler announced himself at about 45 yards with a clearly audible spit (have to be closer for me to hear drum in the woods unfortunately) after we had heard no gobbling all morning and I matched my SIL's yelp with a couple of kee kee runs. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.