OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Most Underutilized Hen Sound By The Hunter In The Spring?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
Most Underutilized Hen Sound By The Hunter In The Spring?
« on: March 23, 2023, 09:35:47 AM »
Question for all you turkey slayers. What hen sound do you think is the most underutilized in the Spring?? I am always learning and open to change if needed, so I want to hear what you many turkey masters have to say.

For me, it has to be the plain basic by itself hen cluck. I have come to believe after three decades of this craziness, that no matter how good one is at calling and making all those other more glorious hen sounds, that hen cluck that sounds like it came from deep inside of a barrel is just really hard to beat. 

Very close second if not almost a tie is scratching in the leaves. He has to be pretty close, but that is just a deadly sound for me in getting him to come that last thirty-forty steps.

"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Online ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Most Underutilized Hen Sound By The Hunter In The Spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »
I agree with scratching in the leaves, it’s deadly. My number 1 isn’t a hen sound at all. I’m a huge fan of Jake calking. Man, you follow up a cluck and purr with some whines with a couple Jake calks and in my experience you better go ahead and take your safety off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 09:48:36 AM »
I agree with you mountainhunter1, the cluck and only the cluck by itself, not the cluck as a sequence with yelps. Just a plain old cluck or two. I am going to try my best to do more of this type calling this year and see how it goes.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 10:23:48 AM »
My overall strategy is listening to the gobbler in deciding what i need to do and what sounds I need to utilize while trying to work him to the gun barrel. No sound or tricks are off the books for myself. Sometimes he's hot and sometimes you have to encourage him. I will utilize whatever i think he needs from my years of experience hunting them and sometimes this isn't enough in getting him killed. I've came out of the woods after losing the battle with him and wanted to throw my gun down and all my calls and cry all the way back to the truck. So for myself i don't underutilize any hen sounds or gobbler / jake sounds.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »
I don't even know what to call it but I had a hen going crazy every time I touched my call a few years ago and she actually called up two long beards. I practiced on a glass pot call till I could mimick the call. She started off with 6 or 7 fast excited clucks and rolled right into a series of 4 yelps. After seeing what she did and finally duplicating the call I have killed several birds that hung up on me by using it. Truthfully it is a bit more aggressive than I normally like but since it isn't an every situation call that's OK.

I know there has been a huge joke made out of it since I posted it on Facebook years ago but I have killed several birds by opening a Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie and crumbling up the wrapper. It doesn't work every time but it certainly has worked some of the time.

Of course scratching in the leaves is usually a good closer.

Online Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »
kee kee

Offline Moore

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:01:38 AM »
I would say the kee kee or the kee kee run. Most people who hunt the spring don't use it. I have used it to bring gobblers in and also call the the henned up gobblers.
[

Offline limhnger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »
Silence..

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »
2 or 3 plain clucks. Leaf scratching

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Offline strum

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 12:32:38 PM »
 Putt.  I use it all the time saves me from having to haul them heavy ole gobblers out of the mountains.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
Silence..

Hit the nail on the head!!!!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »
Scratching in the leaves.  Closed the deal years ago on a big boy with this trick.  He hung up and would not come any closer until I pulled this one on him.  Strutted right in and bagged him at 20 yards.

I will add a good dose of silence at the right time is deadly also.  The best trophy gobbler I ever bagged( 21 3/4 pounds, 10 3/4 inch paintbrush and 1 3/8 inch sharp spurs) was killed with silence and the patience to resist calling to him as I knew he heard my series of calls nearly an hour before. He gobbled back to me fairly close but then shut up so I did too. He covered the distance silently and I killed him at 25 yards. Total time from start to finish 1 hour 45 minutes.  This is why I turkey hunt!  What a rush!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 01:27:34 PM by WildTigerTrout »
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 01:10:49 PM »
Silence..
Agree 100%.  Most underutilized!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Goblen

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 01:42:54 PM »
Cackle paired with a wing. Deadly follow up with a cluck wine and purr.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 03:46:55 PM »
The single cluck is normally used by turkeys as a greeting/hello/are you a turkey call. You here it often after you get done with a series of calls. The turkey comes over and announces it's presence with just a single cluck. Your response should be a single cluck.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.