Main Menu

Mossberg SA Turkey Tactical w/ Sumtoy .562

Started by Tandin93, March 22, 2023, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tandin93

Apex Ninja 3" 1 5/8 oz 8.5's
280 in 10"
124 in 20"

What are y'all's opinions on this pattern? I'm new to this.. Is this too hot of a core? There seems to be some holes in the pattern. Should I try less constriction?
Thanks!
Trey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tandin93

Here is a cropped pic.

Tandin93

paboxcall

That's a good one, I'm doing 235 in 10" with 1.5 oz of straight 8s.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tsgman

That's great at 40-50 if that is from a 40 yard target, but tight for a bead site at 20.  At 20 with a red dot you should be good, just my opinion.  It depends on your anticipated shot distance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

I would not be comfortable shooting any TSS load that only put 124 in the 10-20 ring. You should be able to do much better.

mountainhunter1

I think the ten count is awesome, but I personally would have concern about hunting with a pattern running with a low 124 count in the outer twenty portion of the pattern. If he bobs that head, you will miss sooner than later. Try his .570.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Tandin93

Thanks for the input! This is from 40 yards.  I was thinking the same thing on the outer ring. I'd be more comfortable with something more even.

I have a Trulock .585 coming that I have heard great things about. It's not a great time to be finding a choke right now, everyone is out of stock.
I might try to get ahold of William and try a .570

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Tandin93 on March 24, 2023, 04:53:38 PM
Thanks for the input! This is from 40 yards.  I was thinking the same thing on the outer ring. I'd be more comfortable with something more even.

I have a Trulock .585 coming that I have heard great things about. It's not a great time to be finding a choke right now, everyone is out of stock.

I would suggest that you try the TruLock .585 before dropping more money on an additional choke. Your ten count may drop every slightly, but not enough to matter if it does, but your outer twenty count should go way up with that .585. I think you may have a winner with that combo, especially on the matter of increasing the outer part of the pattern as you presently need to do. But of course, I would also have said the same about the .562 Sumtoy. The point being though that I do not think you will miss on two solid choke choices in a row. Try the .585 first before you spend more of your hard earned cash. Please let us know how it turns out.

"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Tandin93

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 24, 2023, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: Tandin93 on March 24, 2023, 04:53:38 PM

I would suggest that you try the TruLock .585 before dropping more money on an additional choke. Your ten count may drop every slightly, but not enough to matter if it does, but your outer twenty count should go way up with that .585. I think you may have a winner with that combo, especially on the matter of increasing the outer part of the pattern as you presently need to do. But of course, I would also have said the same about the .562 Sumtoy. The point being though that I do not think you will miss on two solid choke choices in a row. Try the .585 first before you spend more of your hard earned cash. Please let us know how it turns out.
Sounds great. I will update when the choke comes in on Tuesday. I'm fine with the 10 count dropping some, I'm just hesitant with the outer count. Thanks for the help!

SumToy

Smart thing would be change the shell.   Then when you need the hot pattern for whatever reason go to that shell when in woods or need open pattern shoot different shell.  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tandin93

Quote from: SumToy on March 26, 2023, 09:14:39 AM
Smart thing would be change the shell.   Then when you need the hot pattern for whatever reason go to that shell when in woods or need open pattern shoot different shell.  :z-twocents:
That is definitely something I will try as well. I have tried the Apex and the Federal. The Apex was MUCH better than the Federal. Any suggestions of ammo to try?

mountainhunter1

Verdict, or Rogue and maybe Salt Creek. All have a good website that you can order from. There are a few more, but they might be a tad harder to get in hand. With a different load, you may love the Sumtoy .562. But I can almost promise you that you will find a good pattern between the coming .585 and your Sumtoy. No way that at least one of them does not pan out. But you have two excellent chokes, and both should shoot great if offered the right load down the barrel. Just a bit of a hassle to try different rounds, but well worth it.

Tandin93

Here is the pattern with the trulock .585 w/ the Apex ninja #8.5's
250 in the 10"
192 in the 20"

I have some of the Mossy Oak Greenleaf  blend from Apex coming, as well as some Rogue 3" #9's. I will post pictures of these when I get them in.

Ranman

I like that a lot. Much more forgiving. Is that with the .585?