OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help From the PA Guys, Gordonville, PA

Started by Sir-diealot, March 22, 2023, 01:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Wondering if any of you guys from PA or elsewhere may know anything about Gordonville, PA? I have to take the Mennonite out there on Friday and spend the night. The following day he is going to a lecture on horses I guess and I need to find something to do.

I know I would like to bring my camera along but I know nothing about the area, closest I have been is Hershey Park back in 91 Are there any sites out there? Any call makers? Any waterfalls? It looks like a country area so I am hoping to see some turkey but I won't bring any calls along, do not know the laws about calling before season and don't want to educate any and make it harder for others when the season starts.

I know at one point I am going to close my eyes in the truck the day we leave and get some rest, it is close to a 5 hour trip each way and I do not have any oxygen for my C-pap machine so I have been tired anyway. Thanks for the help.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

You're in the heart of Amish country. Remember the Harrison Ford film "Witness?" They filmed in that area.

Lots of farms, barns, horse/buggy type attractions. No shortage of photo opportunities.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Mick2394

Right outside lancaster..should be plenty of photo opportunities for you. Could always stop in at Lancaster archery if that's what you're into, I know i would lol
Semper Fi

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on March 22, 2023, 02:16:31 PM
You're in the heart of Amish country. Remember the Harrison Ford film "Witness?" They filmed in that area.

Lots of farms, barns, horse/buggy type attractions. No shortage of photo opportunities.

I drive Mennonites and we do have some Amish but not like it will be over there. I know they have those kind of stars on many of the barns, I have wanted to photograph those for some time but have never made it out there. I also like barns anyway, so much hope and so many dreams put into a barn, a families entire legacy were put into building a barn. In some cases multiple families per barn. Futures could be lost or made on how well they were built and how well what went into them were managed both before and after they were in the barn. Some people just see a building but I see so much more in them. It sure would be neat if they could tell the story of their existence, the hopes, the dreams, the fights, the romantic interludes. They are so much more than just some pieces wood nailed together.

Oh Yes I do remember the movie, I own it as a matter of fact. Thanks for the help.

Quote from: Zobo on March 22, 2023, 02:45:12 PM
That was a good movie
Yes it was.

Quote from: Mick2394 on March 22, 2023, 02:48:36 PM
Right outside lancaster..should be plenty of photo opportunities for you. Could always stop in at Lancaster archery if that's what you're into, I know i would lol

I most assuredly am, thanks! I just wish I had some money to bring along, I just got told about the trip last night though.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Mick2394

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 22, 2023, 03:08:25 PM

I drive Mennonites and we do have some Amish but not like it will be over there. I know they have those kind of stars on many of the barns, I have wanted to photograph those for some time but have never made it out there. I also like barns anyway, so much hope and so many dreams put into a barn, a families entire legacy were put into building a barn. In some cases multiple families per barn. Futures could be lost or made on how well they were built and how well what went into them were managed both before and after they were in the barn. Some people just see a building but I see so much more in them. It sure would be neat if they could tell the story of their existence, the hopes, the dreams, the fights, the romantic interludes. They are so much more than just some pieces wood nailed together.

Oh Yes I do remember the movie, I own it as a matter of fact. Thanks for the help.

That was a good movie
Yes it was.

I most assuredly am, thanks! I just wish I had some money to bring along, I just got told about the trip last night though.
No problem! Store always seems to put a dent in the wallet. Hope you find something to get into and enjoy yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mick2394 on March 22, 2023, 08:06:47 PM

That was a good movie
Yes it was.

No problem! Store always seems to put a dent in the wallet. Hope you find something to get into and enjoy yourself!

Those places always do. :D He and his kids all shoot traditional so we may well stop there. I wish I were not having problems with the shoulder, not sure how much I will be able to shoot but I am doing some light weight lifting trying to help. Wish I could find an old Bow Fit thing, I had all 3 weights and found them helpful but after paying people to help me clean after my car accident some things have been hard to find and I am sure some just took a walk.

John Koenig:

TrackeySauresRex

^ definitely a good stop here.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Turkeybutt

Check out the shops in Intercourse, Pa..
You could go to Blue Ball and eat at Shady Maple smorgasbord.
Lancaster Archery in on Rt 340  and is the worlds largest supplier of 3D and target archery.
There are Outlet stores on Rt 40.
Check out Strasburg and the Strasburg RailRoad. All steam engines.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeybutt on March 22, 2023, 08:40:00 PM
Check out the shops in Intercourse, Pa..
You could go to Blue Ball and eat at Shady Maple smorgasbord.
Lancaster Archery in on Rt 340  and is the worlds largest supplier of 3D and target archery.
There are Outlet stores on Rt 40.
Check out Strasburg and the Strasburg RailRoad. All steam engines.
Thanks, he mentioned the first two places, said there was some kind of joke about them and a third place but he could not remember what it was. Shady Maple smorgasbord could be a hit or miss for me with my diet, I am doing the Atkins Diet original version and I can only have 20 cards total (None of this net stuff) a day and as close to zero sugar as possible a day, it makes eating out very difficult to be honest. I will hop online and look at their menu though, thank you very much for the suggestion. The train station sounds very interesting to me, both because I love history and from a photographers standpoint. I don't think I have earned the right to be called a photographer yet though, at this point I just call myself a picture taker. To be honest my funds are very limited, I kind of hung myself this month so I will have to forgo the outlet stores. Thank you very much for all the suggestions, I have a feeling this is going to be a more than once a year trip, he is getting into breeding horses on a more serious note and like me he is one that researchers everything he gets into. In all truth he is better at it than I am, so I am sure I will be back there at least once a year or more I am guessing.

John Koenig:

Mick2394

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 22, 2023, 08:10:32 PM

That was a good movie
Yes it was.

Those places always do. :D He and his kids all shoot traditional so we may well stop there. I wish I were not having problems with the shoulder, not sure how much I will be able to shoot but I am doing some light weight lifting trying to help. Wish I could find an old Bow Fit thing, I had all 3 weights and found them helpful but after paying people to help me clean after my car accident some things have been hard to find and I am sure some just took a walk.
A resistance trainer might not be a bad idea. They have different bands for different resistance, definitely wouldn't want to over work your shoulder. Guys at Lancaster are great and will definitely help you if you stop in there!

Semper Fi

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mick2394 on March 22, 2023, 09:09:27 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 22, 2023, 08:10:32 PM

That was a good movie
Yes it was.

A resistance trainer might not be a bad idea. They have different bands for different resistance, definitely wouldn't want to over work your shoulder. Guys at Lancaster are great and will definitely help you if you stop in there!

Thanks, it will all be up to him, I have some leeway, but he is there for business. I hope we can though.

John Koenig:

Sully53

The Green Dragon farmers market in Ephrata is not that far away, it is only open on Fridays!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sully53 on March 22, 2023, 10:16:16 PM
The Green Dragon farmers market in Ephrata is not that far away, it is only open on Fridays!
Thank you.

John Koenig:

Turkeybutt

The Strasburg Railroad is free unless you want to take a ride. You could get some photos there. Across the street is the railroad museum but I don't know what that costs.
Since you are a photographer once that steam engine leaves the station you could get in your vehicle get ahead of it and get some photos on its run. The whole trip might be 45 minutes to an hour.
If I wasn't working I'd meet you Steve and show you around. Make sure you buy some Hammond's pretzels!