North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting closer

Started by reflexl, March 28, 2023, 08:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on March 28, 2023, 08:08:18 PM
cannons for a, at best, 20lb animal, unless you're going for head shot? Do you reload? are you backing down on load? I would love to take a deer with handgun, but for turkey I want to use a bow. Jersey wants another $140 for separate license. So someday I will try here in Maryland. Sorry for all the questions, just find it very interesting.

All of the guys that I have talked to that have already killed turkeys with handguns recommend a quick opening bullet and shot placement 5 to 6  inches from the neck base if facing away or on a broadside shot just below the wing attachment point. The broadside shot gets the top of the lungs and usually the spine. With the perfect opportunity (turkey standing very still ) I would take the head shot. I handload so I can tailor a load just for this purpose. I am still trying to decide which gun. I have a super accurate .357 Blackhawk that shoots 1" groups at 100yards. It may get the nod.

As far as taking deer with handguns it is my preferred way. We actually have a handgun hunting organization called Handgun Hunters International. It is a huge source of knowledge for handgun hunting. There is a Bi-monthly online magazine that you can subscribe to without being a member of HHI. Its called Sixgunner. HHI and Sixgunner were originally started in the 1970s by J.D. Jones and Larry Kelly of SSK Industries fame and Magnaport fame. J. D. retired and it set dormant for a few years until J.D. gave Ryan Hoover his blessing to resurrect it. If you are seriously interested in handgun hunting it is a good place to start. Not bragging but my deer kills with handguns are in the hundreds.

I have carried my bow several times but have had some terrible luck. Funny things happen and usually when I am trying to kill them with a bow. In TN I buy sportsman license so all of my bow hunting is covered. My current bow shoots so flat (343 fps chronographed) that I can use one pin out to 40 yards.

crow

Quote from: JeffC on March 29, 2023, 08:02:54 AM
Quote from: crow on March 28, 2023, 10:35:55 PM
I shot a fall Jake with a .405 grain hard cast lead bullet out of an old 45-70 trapdoor at 24yds.
knocked him down and he flopped but wasn't going any where, very little meat damage
Big heavy bullet, did it pass thru? Would think that would knock him into next county..

It passed thru, shot deer and bear with them and never recovered a bullet. They were Laser cast brand, very hard alloy, could shoot them pretty fast (relatively speaking) before you need a gas check.

JeffC

Quote from: reflexl on March 29, 2023, 08:48:42 AM
cannons for a, at best, 20lb animal, unless you're going for head shot? Do you reload? are you backing down on load? I would love to take a deer with handgun, but for turkey I want to use a bow. Jersey wants another $140 for separate license. So someday I will try here in Maryland. Sorry for all the questions, just find it very interesting.

All of the guys that I have talked to that have already killed turkeys with handguns recommend a quick opening bullet and shot placement 5 to 6  inches from the neck base if facing away or on a broadside shot just below the wing attachment point. The broadside shot gets the top of the lungs and usually the spine. With the perfect opportunity (turkey standing very still ) I would take the head shot. I handload so I can tailor a load just for this purpose. I am still trying to decide which gun. I have a super accurate .357 Blackhawk that shoots 1" groups at 100yards. It may get the nod.

As far as taking deer with handguns it is my preferred way. We actually have a handgun hunting organization called Handgun Hunters International. It is a huge source of knowledge for handgun hunting. There is a Bi-monthly online magazine that you can subscribe to without being a member of HHI. Its called Sixgunner. HHI and Sixgunner were originally started in the 1970s by J.D. Jones and Larry Kelly of SSK Industries fame and Magnaport fame. J. D. retired and it set dormant for a few years until J.D. gave Ryan Hoover his blessing to resurrect it. If you are seriously interested in handgun hunting it is a good place to start. Not bragging but my deer kills with handguns are in the hundreds.

I have carried my bow several times but have had some terrible luck. Funny things happen and usually when I am trying to kill them with a bow. In TN I buy sportsman license so all of my bow hunting is covered. My current bow shoots so flat (343 fps chronographed) that I can use one pin out to 40 yards.
Awesome info, thank you, good luck, hope your able to find some birds to put lead into, looking forward to some pictures. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Happy

Quote from: reflexl on March 29, 2023, 08:48:42 AM

Good shooting. I think you need to call one up and then try to Quickdraw and head shoot him. Buster Scruggs would do it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

reflexl

I don't know about quick draw on one. I will probably treat it like a shotgun bird. If I see them coming I shut up and wait. I really like them in 20-25 yards. I am a bit sadistic. I have intentinaly seen how close they will come. So far 20' is the closest shot. If I had my gun pointed right I could have touched his head with the barrel. I know someguys like to see how far they can shoot them and if that is what turnes them on I am cool with it but I like them in my face. That is what I am leaning to an open sighted pistol for the pistol bird.

Happy

Just kidding on that reflexl. I wouldn't recommend it for safety or accuracy. Good luck with it though. I agree that up close is where the fun is.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

so what's next spear?? or wrestling ?? :character0029: :TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zelmo1

Spears, definitely spears

reflexl

Quote from: JeffC on March 29, 2023, 09:04:47 PM
so what's next spear?? or wrestling ?? :character0029: :TooFunny:

We have a local guy that goes to Alabama and spears deer and hogs. I would love to see they guy that could spear a turkey.