OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opinions on 20g - Franchi Affinity 3 or Mossberg SA20 Tactical Turkey? Other?

Started by Timmer, March 21, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hello all,

I hunt in the hill/river bluff country of southeast Minnesota and western Wisconsin.  My style of hunting is sneak hunting the majority of the day, using the contour of the land for cover, frequently dropping into and climbing out of ravines, following deer trails in the woods, etc.  As I get older it seems like the equipment I carry just keeps getting heavier!  I've decided it's time to retire my turkey gun to the safe for future generations, and purchase something significantly lighter.  My gun for the last 15+ years has been a 12g Benelli Super Nova with pistol grip that is over 9lbs and is much longer than an ideal turkey gun. For me the thrill of the hunt is getting inside a big boy's bubble, calling him away from the other pretty girls, and encouraging him to come in close.  I don't need to be taking record setting long shots, so I believe a 20g semi auto is ideal for me.  After researching quite a bit, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Franchi Affinity3 Turkey or the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey.  Does anyone wish to share their experiences with these guns?  Good, bad or indifferent?  Or you have another gun you love and would recommend?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

krm944

I am shopping for a semi 20 gauge as well.

-Is a drilled and tapped receiver important?
-Are you ok with a "compact" or youth gun?
-Full camo?

My local Walmart has the Tristar Raptor 20 gauge youth with a 24" barrel for $348. It has camo furniture, but blued barrel and receiver. It has a dovetail, not drilled and tapped. The gun handles very well, but I would want it drilled/tapped and that's about $75

I want to handle the Mossberg SA 20 as I like the 22" barrel and it's drilled and tapped. It's about $600 + ffl fees.

FL-Boss

Get the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical or Tristar Viper G2 -  they are basically the same gun.. one is bottomland, and the other is greenleaf.  You can get them with or without a pistol grip. I have many of them in different gauges, .410, 28, 20, 12 .  They are out-of-the-box killers.. already drilled and tapped. They weigh in the 5.5 lb range...  My SA-28 tactical weighs 5.1 lbs with red dot....it's a feather.

Tandin93

Hey, I hope this helps some. I hunted with the Affinity 3 last year, and picked up the SA Tactical Turkey last week. Now owning both of these guns, I can honestly say that you can't go wrong with either! They are both very nice shotguns. If I was looking for a multi purpose gun, it would be the Franchi, but it is hard to beat the MB for a purpose built turkey gun. It is light, is a pleasure to carry around, and I absolutely love the pistol grip! I put a Sumtoy mount and a FF3 on mine and I love it!
I'm still trying to find a shell/choke combo that I'm super happy with, but overall I'm VERY pleased with the Mossberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

matt3d

I have no experience with the Mossberg, but have heard good things about it. I have hunted with a Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge the last 4 seasons and absolutely love it. Light weight, drilled and tapped for optics. Paired with a Jebs .565 and Rogue 1 7/8oz 9's, it shoots fantastic. With the introduction of TSS I see no disadvantage with a 20 gauge. Just my opinion though.

RED NECK

I like the fit and feel of the weatherby element,Its not a kids stock but It feels great in my hands, I find the fit to be perfect, the only negative on the gun for me is the safety because I am a southpaw. There are so many great choices out there to pick from. I would always buy the gun I wanted, If I can find it. Enjoy shopping!!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Greg Massey

A lot of good options as mention, as i was looking for a New auto 20 gauge last year, i wanted the inertia system regardless of what i decided to buy and I settled on the Franchi Affinity Elite 3 turkey. Pistol grip was another MUST have option with my looking for a new gun.  Pistol grip / no pistol grip is all a matter of your preference. But in my opinion the pistol grip helps you with controlling your gun etc...  I know some people say i can't shoot as fast with that pistol grip on the second shoot.. my question is why in most cases do you need a second hurry up shot... but again buy what you feel comfortable in using regardless.  So far the Gun i picked out has been a joy to carry and hunt F A E 3 ...

Ranger

"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

MK M GOBL

RED NECK

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 23, 2023, 10:30:56 AM
I like the fit and feel of the weatherby element,Its not a kids stock but It feels great in my hands, I find the fit to be perfect, the only negative on the gun for me is the safety because I am a southpaw. There are so many great choices out there to pick from. I would always buy the gun I wanted, If I can find it. Enjoy shopping!!
Here is what I have at this time for 20's in a semi auto, I also looked hard at the mossberg sa-20 with  obsession camo and regular stock, It gets excellent reviews and is light as well. I may purchase it, or wait until I come across the version with the pistol grip. I would have to say I like the Weatherby sa 459 as my favorite, but I also haven't shot my new element yet as I am waiting for a base to have it drilled and tapped shortly. I wouldn't hesitate on any of the models mentioned in thread or the numerous other choices you have.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Ace8

Just picked up a Franchi Affinity 3 and mounted my sumtoy and FF3 night before last. It's the full size I guess, not the youth model and it pulls and fits great even for my 11yo son. For me honestly the pre tapped holes were huge. Last fun I had tapped took forever to get it back, plus hour drive, etc. excited to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmer

Quote from: krm944 on March 23, 2023, 08:54:52 AM
I am shopping for a semi 20 gauge as well.

-Is a drilled and tapped receiver important?
-Are you ok with a "compact" or youth gun?
-Full camo?

Drilled and tapped receiver - Yes. I do have a couple of red dot scopes, so I may choose to mount one of them on this gun.

Compact or youth gun - This question intrigues me.  Since I wasn't looking at youth models, I hadn't gathered details on length of pull.  Are you suggesting that either of the models I suggested are youth sized?  I am tall with long arms and definitely don't want an LOP that is too short.

Full camo - Yes, full camo preferred.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

jhoward11

I have the SA20. Mainly for my wife to use. I like Mossberg's as I use the 835. I use the factory choke in the SA20 with Federal premium TSS #7. I put a Burris FF3 red dot on a picatinny rail. Sighted POA with light loads first at 25 yrds. Only took 3 of those expensive shells to find the sweet spot at 38 yrds. Great pattern. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!