OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite diaphragm?  (Read 3038 times)

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Favorite diaphragm?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 12:48:36 AM »
I picked up a handful of Gooserbats down in Nashville and I am really liking them all OSS and Bacon are standouts. As a whole I love how he cuts them they are very comfortable without trimming.

:agreed:
Good point - Gooserbat is the first mouth call I've used that didn't need to trimmed for a good seal.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 06:51:14 AM »
Pretty much most of what Gooserbat or Sadler McGraw produce in ghost or split Vs.  I do like the Gulvas Master’s Choice as well.  I’ve had good luck with Pinhoti’s ghost cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 09:36:08 AM »
X2 on Sadler McGraw, Judge & Jury, reasonably priced, good guy to deal with...

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
I've used a Woodhaven Toxic Orange and Cane Creek Lost Poult for the most part the last few years.

From the comments on here, I may need to try a Gooserbat and Sadler ghost cut as well. Thanks for the feedback fellows.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 05:04:09 PM »
I tried some Gooserbat calls in his grab bag a couple years ago.  I have been using his stuff ever since.  I mainly use V-cuts and combo cut calls.  Prior to that, I used MAD poison and shippwrecks.  I liked them so much I bought quite a few and kept stored in garage fridge.  Not sure you can even get MAD stuff anymore.

Offline pinebark

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:16 PM »
This is also my 1st year running Sadlers calls and they are something else. I ordered both ghost cuts and the reverse combo lite. It has already helped out bringing 2 to the gun. He will also bend over backwards to try and help you get the sound that you desire. Not to mention quick shipping.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
Cane Creek hands down for me.
Mr Death
Lost Poult
The Edge
Phil 4:13

Offline slave601

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2023, 01:58:16 PM »
Mine was the houndstooth ace along with the KB hen. Both bay wings 3 and 2 Reed. I completed my public land slam with the ace alone this year. I usually buy 5 to 10 of each every year but there were a lot of inconsistency’s in the calls this year. Not sure what happened but I’ll give Sadler a try this off season before I just buy a press and start making my own.
"thinnin the flock"

Offline DROCK

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
I stick with Hooks because they fit well for me personally.  I like the Heart Throb.  If any other makers fit like Hooks I'd be open to try them too.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2023, 01:47:00 PM »
I stick with Hooks because they fit well for me personally.  I like the Heart Throb.  If any other makers fit like Hooks I'd be open to try them too.
Hooks make GREAT calls!  The EX and EX 2 are some of the best.  Hooks calls fit me well because they have small tape so....if you want to try other calls from other makers I would suggest 2 things 1. contact the callmaker and ask if they will make yours with small tape or 2. Take one of your Hooks calls, as a template and with a fine tip sharpie, trace the Hooks over the other makers call and trim the tape with a pair of scissors.  Easy Peeze.

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 03:39:37 PM »
Lots of good ones. Cottonmouth are my all around favorites, but the one call I never leave home without is a Primos WP-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline CntrlPAlongbeard

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
As a few others have mentioned I also have tried out KLUK custom calls this year. I have a mamba combo in medium stretch that is terrific, and is the first call I’ve found that I can actually do a realistic purr on.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2023, 07:01:40 AM »
Hooks ex2

Offline Riley1

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2023, 09:06:53 PM »
Gooserbat!

Offline NCspurs22

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2023, 09:03:37 AM »
Houndstooth gamecalls makes some awesome yelpers! I would suggest trying a few different cuts and find the one you like!